1. grasscapeinc

grasscapeinc LawnSite Member

Can I plow with a s-10 blazer, and how much?

2. Alan

Alan Member

That depends, do you have the 4.3 and auto? For what it's worth, I'm running two S-10 short wheelbase pickups with 8' Sno-Way plows and loving it.

3. BillNero

BillNero LawnSite Member
    from IL

Alan,<p>Did you say 8' Snoways on S10? I'd love to know how the trucks are holding up. I have many people ask me what plow for a snoway and as I'm not a Snoway distributor - I have nothing to offer.<p>I guess I better call Snoway!<p><p>----------<br>THINK SNOW!<br>Bill

4. grasscapeinc

grasscapeinc LawnSite Member

2000 blazer 4.3 auto w/trans cooler?<br>How do I contact sno-way<br>Website?

5. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

You will have a hard time finding a sub frame for that s-10. The feds are making it tougher on the makers all the time and the first thing that went was front axel rates. When that went so did plows. You may be able to adapt a frame from a mid 90's s-10 but I am not sure.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

6. Alan

Alan Member

Grasscape, I'm not sure about the new ones, mine are the older versions, 88 & 91. I don't think the newer models will tote the load in this respect. Bill, so far no problems with the mechanicals. Other than the axles the drive train is the same as the big pickups. I think the lighter wieght makes the torque loads on the axles light enough that they hold up ok as well. The 8' Sno-Way is about the same weight as the 6' 6&quot; Fisher so no real big problem there. I've thought about putting Timbrens on at some point. Only problem I have had has been frame cracking where the frame arches over the front suspension. I built the subfrmes and nosepieces for both of these trucks and plan to add a brace from the subframe back to the truck frame to take the flex out and that should cure it. For a small truck they push real good, as much as a full size. The limiting factor is the amount of snow you can carry on the blade anyhow. I'm looking at a 6'8&quot; Sno-Way that I will remodel into a pull plow that will angle. If it works out it will be riding on the back of the 88 this winter.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

My backup truck is an old 84 S10 excab with a 6'6&quot; fisher MM plow.I know the truck can push the snow,but Im not sure of your front axle weight rating.Look on the drivers door,its there youll find it,go weigh it at a certified scale ,and see whats left to play with,if its at max now,forget it,but if youve got 600-900lbs left Id mount a snoway up to it.I know for a fact that GM leaves a nice big saftey margin in there ratings ,since we tend to overload them just a little,so I think youd be OK.If you have a 2dr youll need some weight in the rear to keep it on the ground,it gets light in back.the worst thing that could happen is GM would see the plow frame and void the warranty on the front end and possibly the trans.I doubt youll have trouble with either in 3yrs or 36K.those little S10 's push excellent,im very impressed with my old one's pushing power.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

8. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i had 91 s-10 for a spell 4.3 auto meyer two meter w/ wingsfor light 2 to 3 inch snows it was like having a plow on a sports car stopped and started quick maneauveribility was tops all w/ plow on<br>but then when it snows 3to 4 or greater and it real wet snow the truck cannot get enough traction could have loaded it up do not think it would have helped great back up or spare truck or small route but frontlines need to be full size or bigger<p>doug

9. Alan

Alan Member

Doug, I think you needed better tires on that S-10. Running Cooper Weathermasters we rarely run out of traction. Our last storm this year was 14&quot; of heavy snow and the S pushed as much as the big pickup. I've nver felt that I was lacking traction with those little trucks, my limiting factor is always how much I can keep ahead of the blade. As far as being out of my league in more than a 3-4 inch storm, no way!

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I second Alan,my little S10 has pushed over a ft of wet snow,and it does as well as a 3/4 ton with a 8fter,last year after a big storm we were plowing out the shop,and it was the only truck to be able to break trail around the whole shop once,I wouldnt beleive it if I didnt see it myself.the biggest problem is the little blade takes awhile to pick away at a big lot,thats why its a driveway/backup for me.<p>----------<br>John D<br>