1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blazing saddle, funny pipe and RB 5000 rotors

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bobc9, Dec 6, 2007.

1. bobc9

bobc9 LawnSite Member

It seems that most people prefer blazing over dawn. I am asking your pros what blazing you use? Is the one with funny pipe insert barb so you attach the pipe directly, or the one with with FIP and you use an extra ell for more flexibility of swing?

Secondly, some websites (e.g. irrigationtutorials) suggest NOT to use funny pipe for rotor with 3/4" inlet (e.g. RB 5000) because the ID of funny is too small. But I didn't find that info on RB or Toro sites. Is there going to be flow restriction proble with funny/5000 combo? I will limit the length of funny to 12" for that matters.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you are using standard rotors of 3 gpm or so, the length of funny pipe isn't extremely important, since the funny ell will have more of a pressure drop than the funny pipe itself.
  3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I like Blazing Saddles

4. bobc9

bobc9 LawnSite Member

Yes, I will not go over 3 gpm on any heads. but the other website still suggests not to use funny pipe, which mean funny ells are not used as well. Instead use 3/4 sch 80 nipples and several 3/4 marlex ells to construct the swing joints. I am not sure this is necessary for 5000s with <3 gpm.

Note on the blazing saddle: it seems if I use the direct insert saddle, and have a limited length of funny, it will be hard to bend the funny pipe if the head is lined up with the pipe (would be OK if head are half a foot away from the pipe). Blazing does not make a barb saddle with the insert on a 90 degree turn. Dawn does seem to have that option.
  5. bobc9

bobc9 LawnSite Member

Yes. Which one? with barb or FIP?

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Love it!!! Great politically incorrect flick. Mel Brooks is a classic comedy film maker. Loved Space Balls and Young Frankenstein.

To answer your question, you'll have no problem with 12"-24" of funny (swing) pipe going into a rotor. Have done it for 15 years. Even longer runs of pipe occasionally.
  7. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Yep me too. And don't forget the original Producers, The Twelve Chairs, and High Anxiety.

Well, we don't use saddle tees here out west in PVC country, but I just couldn't resist.

I do use funny pipe pretty often, and have had no problem using it with smaller rotors such as the RB 3500 or Hunter PGJ. I have less experience using it with 3/4 inlet rotors, but I think it's all about how much you might restrict the flow... the few times I've done it have been 2 ft. or less, and I always add a marlex street ell below the head for more adjustability.