Bleach, Disease, and Mowers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GardnerLandscaping, Aug 2, 2006.

1. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I read it is always wise to dip your pruning shears in a diluted bleach solution to prevent spread of disease.

Do people clean their decks and spray their mowers with bleach to prevent spread of disease and weeds after each mow?

I assume you don't need a pesticide license to do this.
  2. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

crickets.......crickets.........:laugh: :laugh:
  3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Hell no I dont bleach my mower after each lawn. I blow it off and get outta there. Bleach would not be very effective under the deck anyway, always too much buildup. Also, when your mower deck is 120 degrees after mowing bleach will just evaporate instantly. Now pruning shears, yes I will bleach those puppies but mowers, no, trimmers, no, edgers, no, blowers, no.
  4. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

thanks. just blowing makes sense. the temperature of the blade probably kills anything. just thought of it after reading the pesticide book.
  5. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

in 30 years, i've had only one customer wanting to know if i would clean the blade area under my deck with bleach, as well as all the wheels, sterilize my shoes, etc. so i wouldnt transfer any fungus to his grass. I told him no, it wasnt worth it. I thought he was paranoid in his thinking, as he cant keep other people or animals from walking on his grass.