Bleach on poison Ivy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawndreamer, Jul 3, 2003.

1. lawndreamer

lawndreamer LawnSite Member

I heard you could put bleach on poison ivy and it will dry it up faster. I also heard to put alcohol on it. I think alcohol would burn wouldn;t it? I'm ate up with it and over the counter stuff isn't worth the money. I've already spent 25.00 on o-t-c stuff. Hasn't done a thing!

Any suggestions?

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

no one can tell ya to put bleach on your posion ivy for obvious reasons. But I can say that when I have poision ivy real bad I find it is a good time to make up a bleach solution and was the side of the house, patio chairs etc.

3. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

the best thing for it is to fill your bath tub up with hot hot water and get in and srub it with a face cloth. i got it out of a home remedy book and it work good. i did it at night and it helped me sleep and not itch.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Bleached, DRUNK poison I'vy is no guy I want to be around.

I thought you want to kill the poison Ivy plant NOT injure yourself further.
    Whatever you do, DO NOT USE BLEACH!

I know you heard me,
    DO NOT USE BLEACH. Alcohol is no better.

That is unless of course you want to go to the Emergency room to take care of 2 problems instead of one.

Get to the Doctors and get a prescription.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Next time try a product called Technu which is available at Wal-Mart for removing the poison ivy oil before you start to have a reaction. Best of luck getting that cleared up.

Gravely_Man

6. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

I get Poision Ivy about every 3rd week. You'd think I'd learn to wear jeans by now! Nothing over the counter works. It's a form of Contact Dermatitis. The only way I can get rid of is a shot from the dr., which jumpstart the healing followed by a weeks worth of Prednisone. Dr. nows me and writes script for multiply refills.

7. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 LawnSite Member

I have good luck with rubbing alcohol. I keep a bottle in the truck, and wipe it on right away when I think I have gotten into some. If you have it already and is real bad, don't screw around and let it get worse, get a perscription.

8. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

Lasts about 2 weeks. Spend a few minutes in the shower with the water as hot as you can take it. This will exhaust the histamines in the skin and you will not itch for 5 or 6 hours. This trick has got me through a lot of nights. Shoot the hot water right onto everywhere that itches, it will feel good for a few minutes. And like magic, the itch will be gone for awhile.....

9. hnter

hnter LawnSite Member

i deal with poison ivy every summer...the tecnu works well to wash off the oils immediately after exposure, but you have to know you've been near the plant and for some reason i never seem to see the stuff, it just gets me...an over the counter product by oak-n-ivy called calagel provides the best itch relief and speeds the drying and healing...hydrogen peroxide is good for cleaning and drying any areas that get scratched open (and that happens a lot with me)...i'm not sure if the hot water thing previously mentioned actually aids in healing but it sure feels good...stand in the shower with HOT water running and as soon as it hits the affected spots you'll feel it...some say benadryl helps relieve the itch, but it doesn't help me...avoid the bleach/alcohol...and the best bet for the real bad stuff is a trip to the dr...but who has time for that?

10. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

You are breaking out because of the oils in the plant that you are laergic. Several remedys.

1. Benadryl spray or tablets. Help you reduce the histamine reaction....itching.

2.Chlorinated water will help dry your skin out, but not direct bleach(burns). Try a pool.

3. Alcohol will remove the oils but may spread the rash. Similar to hot water.

4. Technu is basically mineral spirits in a expensive bottle. Works if used immediately after exposed.

5 Calamine lotion based remedys. Help dry out the rash if not open and oozing.

6. The cortico steroid pack from the doctor...almost immediately after started, but not a great thing to do all the time.

Sorry to hear about your luck. I seem to get the ivy itch a few times a year.