bleed screw vs turning the solenoid

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by justgeorge, Jun 27, 2005.

1. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

If the little hole under the solenoid was plugged in a valve, would turning the bleed screw to turn on the valve work? I've got a Hunter PGV valve on a new install that won't turn on either by turning the solenoid or by the bleed screw. I'm hoping that the hole is plugged and that's why even the bleed screw won't turn it on (or by the controller). I'll check that first thing tomorrow, but I've been sitting here studying a disassembled valve and can't figure it out.

And yes, the valve IS installed the right direction (I already checked that).... :)

Thanks,
    George

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Is the water supply to it turned on?Something else is very wrong here not a plugged little hole I am sure.

3. justgeorge

yeah all the other zones work fine. I can't imagine that I installed the valve but never T'd into it. If I remove the bleed screw completely I should get water shooting out right?

4. sheshovel

Absolutly right and if you unscrew it a little water should come out, if you turn it on by turning the silinoid you will feel or hear it come on.There are such things as defective valves it happens all the time.Try switching out the soleinoid with a soleinoid from a valve you know that works and test it that way.If it still wont work by the controller,you know you have a defective valve,If it opens then you had a defective solenoid.But I would say water is somehow not getting to the valve at all.

5. We have had a couple of PGV valves that were like this, in fact, we had one last week on an install. It actually worked the day of walk through and quit after that....another call-back.

Don't break your head over it, after you have decided that you did indeed pipe water to the valve..just rebuild the entire valve...diaphragm, bonnett, solenoid, and valve seat/ring. Then put all the old parts on the body you stripped and take it back to the supplier and hand it to them, and get a new one in exchange.

6. justgeorge

Didn't put in the T to the valve. At least I had duct tape over the end, and also somehow had a Dawn Industries T repair coupler in my truck.

Duh.

George

7. sheshovel

I TOLD YA so... I told ya so

na hahahhaaha....Ha lol!