1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bleeding air out of hydro system *dixie chopper*

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K&F lawn, Jun 20, 2004.

1. K&F lawn

K&F lawn LawnSite Member

left hydro just went out on our dixie chopper, so we replaced it with a new unit and cleaned out the whole hydraulic system. Filled the system back up and still wont go anywhere. Does anyone know anything about bleeding the hydraulic system if air gets in?

thanks in advance
  2. Xcellent Lawn

Xcellent Lawn LawnSite Member

I was told to jack up back wheels and slowly move handles back and forth until the big airbubbles are gone. It takes like 17 seconds to burn a pump. I changed mine beggining of this yr with not problems. hope that helped
  3. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I know on my hydros you have to remember to throw that little switch on them so they will engage. Its silver and on the unit its self. I was using my Z when I first got it, and some how put a hole in the hydro filter. I released the switch so the wheels would roll in neutral, and when I put the new filter on and jacked it up to let the wheels run free to bleed the air out, I forgot to flip the little switches and got nothing. Man I was flipping out for a sec, I thought jesus I just ruined my hydros on a brand new mower. But then I was calling my mechanic buddy, when I realized my mistake. Bout had a heart attack there.
  4. K&F lawn

K&F lawn LawnSite Member

thanks guys, i will give that a try. Anymore suggestions?
  5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Like Ecel said, jack up the rear wheels, but run the engine at idle. Let the wheel motors spin forward for a while, then backward for a while. When you hear the chattering noise go away, you will be ready to mow. This could take 10-20 minutes.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, just let the engine run for a while, it will go away
  7. K&F lawn

K&F lawn LawnSite Member

tried this and still no luck. Could we possibly have a leak in one of the lines and air could still be getting in? I can see air bubbles going into the resevoir but it still isnt getting any better.