Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Dec 17, 2000.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

While we are wishing everybody a Merry Christmas I would like to ask everyone to say a few words for the people in Tuscaloosa that lost their family members and friends to the tornadoes that went through yesterday. I think the death count is 10 right now with a couple still missing. We had another one hit real close to home in Geneva Alabama and it tore the town up, I know one woman was critically injured but haven't heard how she was doing. Another one hit a few miles away in the other direction so all in all we are blessed that all we got was the rain and wind. Mother nature can be cruel at times and no time is a good time for things like this to happen, but it seems like around the holidays it is even worse. News footage last night showed the roofs ripped off several houses and Christmas trees laying down in the house. The communities that were hit around me are already in terrible shape with plant closings and layoffs, they really need a break right now but it only got worse yesterday.

Anyway, count your blessings, hug your family, call a friend. You never know what tomorrow may bring.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I'm sure glad to hear you and your family is OK. Your the first ones I thought of this morning when I heard of the storms. Tornadoes are a bad thing to go through. There were 7 funnels that night and we had two farms in South Dakota and it completely destroyed one farm and took the roof off of the house and barn at the farm we lived at. We were very lucky, but our neighbors weren't as lucky. They lost their lives.
  3. jay

jay LawnSite Member

Our prayers go out to them.
  4. tranum

tranum LawnSite Member

homer, you're right, it got pretty rough here in the south yesterday. i'm about 75 miles west of you. we only got the wind & rain also but it sure looked bad for a while. glad you are all o.k. saw some of the news footage from the bear's town, but didn't know about geneva. btw, hope you got cha' longhandles starched & ironed if you're working tomorrow. gonna be danged cold for us rednecks!!!!!
  5. HOMER

You right about the cold. We just ain't used to this, at least the last few years have been much warmer. I plan on working tomorrow, I know now more than ever there will be plenty of mess to clean up. I got my red longhandles on full alert, I love them thangs, and the Choppers are on stand by. As long as we can make contact in the morning I think we'll take off. Better plug the truck up tonight, gotta keep her warm!

Thanks for thinkin' about us Eric. I was unaware that you had a personal experience with a tornado. I'm also sorry to hear about your neighbors. These things are much worse than a hurricane, there just isn't time to prepare. In town they now have sirens to alert people of incoming scud tornados but you can't hear them out here in the sticks. Daylight helps but after the sun goes down all you can hope for is to see one during a lightning stike.

Thanks again

6. BCLawncare

BCLawncare LawnSite Member

HOMER i shure am glad to hear you`re ok.HOMER`S the first thing i thought of when i saw this on tv this morning.
  7. HOMER

Thanks BC. I almost needed one last night, one of them BC powders! It's sad to see all the destruction those things can cause. It's sadder to see the loss of lives. God has his reasons and all we can do is accept it. Luckily for my family and friends we were spared.

Thanks again,

Not homeless