1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blew My Mind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Firstclasslawn, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Im sitting there cutting a lawn the other day and I see a LCO drive through the neighborhood putting his fliers on mailboxes, NO BIG DEAL but then he stops at my customers house and right in front of me places one on my customers mailbox, I was ticked in my mind that is unprofessionaly and I would have skipped a house if I saw another LCO there mowing it, so I called him and professionally gave him my 2 cents and told him that surely if he was sweating his ass off mowing and I was flyeringa neighborhood that he would want me to skip the house that he was at--He agreed and said that he would talk to the crew that passed them out---HE WAS THE ONE WHO DID IT, i called his cell number on the brochure and saw him answer the phone, he was about 8 houses down in the truck and I saw him answer the phone, LOL what a weasel oh btw he was a low baller also, his brochure was mediocre and said all lawns starting at $25
  2. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Come on guys beat me up I am waiting for your replies on my opinion :0)
  3. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

He does have a right to do what ever he wants. He has different values than you it sounds like.

What came to my mind was that this guy was pretty quick with the comeback, defer the blame onto someone else. Then you say he was lying to top it off. Do you think a guy like that gives a CR*P about you. I doubt it.

I wouldn't worry about it. People/customers will see through him eventually.
  4. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Other day I found a door hanger from a "competitor" on one of my customer's front doors. It said "We'll beat all other's prices" and had a space for "Price for mowing this lawn ____"

The price filled in was $35, but I mow that lawn for $25.

Should I call him for false advertising?

Actually, I couldn't care less what some bozo does with his fliers when he comes to one of my customers. Quite a few of my customers I would give away anyhow.
  5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

By stating in his flyer that all lawns START at $25.00, does not make him a lowballer. The keyword here is start.
  6. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, all I can say is Wow...
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe he saw the quality of your work and figured he could do better. Who knows?
  8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Uh huh.
  9. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I have a $25 residential minimum. His flyer might catch the interest of a few people, and when they call about the $25, all he has to do is say "well you have a big backyard and many trees to trim around. I can do it for $30."

That is what many of my small residentials are anyways.

As for putting a flyer on the house that you were mowing; I personally would not have done it. That doesn't mean it's right or wrong, it just means its what I would have done. I respect the LCO's in my area and I know they work just as hard as I do.

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

Their are several lawn guys that mow in my neighborhood,out of those there are three. That i will not not call on their lawn accounts it just a matter of principal. How ever there are some that i say rite behind with the flyers.

One of the customers came out to meet me as i was walking my dog before starting to mow, and asked me if i could do some work for him I told him no since he is a customer of one of my buddies, he looked confisused.:alien: