Blew up my Stihl BR600 - again!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coolgreen, May 7, 2008.

1. coolgreen

coolgreen LawnSite Member

I'm not a big fan of most Stihl equipment, but man I love the power and lower noise of these machines, but this is the second time the same blower has blown (excuse the pun) up.

It's probably just another valve, but I don't have the expertise to fix them when they go. I guess I should learn how to replace valves if I'm going to keep using these things.

I run Stihl oil at 50:1 with mid-grade fuel. Maybe I should run the ever-expenisve premium, although I don't know whether two more octane numbers (I have no idea how they rate fuel) will make a huge difference.

Do the 4-mix trimmers eat valves the same way?

2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

what exactly happened? how long have you been using the unit?

i run all stihl handhelds and backpacks, my oldest trimmer is an fs85 that ive had for about 7 or 8 years now and it still screams like a banshee. ive also got an fs110, fc110, hs45, br600, ts400, ms290, ms460 and some other stihl stuff as well. no problems, just a faulty ignition module on my 110 this past summer.

i run the regular unleaded 87 octane and i used standard mix, but i switched to the synthetic hp ultra oil this spring. everything runs top notch for me.

3. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

How dare you to say anything bad about 4Mix and C4!!!! They have no problem. You are the problem. They are the best in the world. You don't know how to run them.

Just change the valve every few months. It worth your while, it handle good, best in the world, what is a valve here and there!!!!!

Did you see someone post a picture of a valve broke off and stuck on the piston of a 4Mix engine? That is a nice piece of art. Don't you even know how to appreciate that??!!

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

use ONLY sthil ultra oil and you wont have a prob. do not use conventional stil oil-it must be ultra!

5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

i knew it was only a matter of time before this guy shows up...

6. magbarn

magbarn LawnSite Member

I'm currently running this oil for my BR600. Would it be ok to run this in my other equipment? For my other equipment I keep a seperate mix of Shindy One. I have a 4 cycle shindaiwa and several 2 cycle echo's. On those machine's they're asking for FC/FD rated oil and Stihl's Ultra is a FB rated oil which I assume is an older standard.

7. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, make a thread about stihl 4 mix stuff or shindy c4 stuff not working flawlessly, and he shows up just as sure as the sun goes comes up each day.

8. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

:hammerhead:

9. yungman

from Calif.

I have a Shindaiwa C4 blower, it does not like Shindaiwa One oil!!! It seemed to like Echo Power Blend better, I end up giving the Shindy oil to my friend. I am experimenting with Amsoil for the moment and see what happen. I am not willing to have 2 mix for that.

10. yungman

from Calif.

Too bad the sun goes up every day!!!