blighted tips

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by f350, Apr 29, 2002.

1. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

the weather was in the 80"s 2 weeks ago, last week in the 70's now it's anywear from 45-55. all the lawns we cut last week have blighted or torn tips. is anyone else having this problem? it looks almost like a dull blade it has that brown gray cast acrossed the lawn.

2. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

just looked at a new lawn that looked just the same. The tips of the grass were brown but the rest of the blade looks good, I also ?'ed what had happened

3. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

i just made a few quick rounds to look at a few sites. just about anything that has been cut commercially has this haze. it's most noticable between 7-8 pm. the only thing i can think of is the cold. we have had frost freeze advisory's and temp's in the 30's at night. right now it's 43 down from 52 an hour and a half ago. even the tire marks are leaving trails, like it was 100 degrees outside. this fluke weather is really doing strange things.

4. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have a few lawns here in Florida thats afffected as well.Its green ,but the tip is brown and split.And its only the lawns that Chemlawn spray.

5. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

what about spring frost or lack of "k"??

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I noticed my own lawn this evening. Zoysia at that. Must be the screwy weather effecting it.

7. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

i have been searching for answers to this. the best idea has to be the spring frost. i cannot find any pic's but i did read something that made sence. the grass plant is basically water, when it's mowed it causes an open wound. when the temps drop the plant freezes and the wound basically, lets say gets infected. does this sound logical? i lost a new customer today because of this. so i really need to have a good answer if this comes up again.