Blinking overdrive light

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Shack, Feb 10, 2001.

1. Shack

Shack LawnSite Member

I have a 94 F350 diesel. The overdrive light will blink off and on while sitting at the red light from time to time.
    Have any ideas?

2. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

Take it to a dealer so they can diagnose the problem, which will most likely be that the transmission is shot. See if they can help you at all since the truck is out of warranty (they helped me greatly with a 97). If you let it go too long the dealer told me that debris from the bad parts can get tangled up in the cooling system (might need new radiator).

Or, if you want to, do like a friend of mine - same thing with his 93, he disconnected the battery overnight to reset the computer, then drove it until it broke totally.

3. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

I believe that before doing much of anything else I would completely drain the trans and the TC, fill with Mobil 1 ATF and change the filter. Will cost you about $75--$100 but might make the difference. Also like the idea of "resetting" the computer. Although I don't think you have to wait overnight. Just 30 min.or so. The truck will also drive a little differently for a few miles after that.
    You might want to add a better cooler for the trans also. The factory one is not adequate for most loads. Sitting at lights might add a little more heat to the unit.
    Even if it was new, all the above would be good for it.
    Cleve....

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

It could be something as little as a bad solenoid or a loose wire,if you want to service it,and take it in and let a pro look at it.

5. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I had the same problem with my 97 350 ps diesel. Ford replaced the Torgue Converter, the Darm Reman Conv Asy-trans for a fee of $586.77. They told me it was not covered under warr. cause this part is not in the drive train system.

Chris

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Torque convertor is a problem on Fords,especiall yif you dont service your auto every 15K if you tow/plow or 30K otherwise.The torque converttor is covered under the 3/36,and is part of the powertrain,it would be covered under any powertrain extended warranty also,provided ou serviced it at recommended intervals.

7. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

In fact ford still has issues with auto trannies, they just recently had to halt production of all gas powered trucks due to a diode failure in the trannies. Diesel powered trucks were not affected because the faulure would only occur after full throttle above 4700 rpm let completely off the throttle and then back to full throttle. I am not picking on fords but read the article from dearborn news or something to the like. I will try and find the article and post a link.
    Dino

8. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

In fact ford still has issues with auto trannies, they just recently had to halt production of all gas powered trucks due to a diode failure in the trannies. Diesel powered trucks were not affected because the faulure would only occur after full throttle above 4700 rpm let completely off the throttle and then back to full throttle. I am not picking on fords but read the article from dearborn news or something to the like. I will try and find the article and post a link.
    Dino

That problem occured back in november or december. I am pretty sure it's fixed now.

Geoff

9. mike48114

mike48114 LawnSite Member

sorry about everyones situation but i know what the proublem is... In a Ford truck the only way that light can blink is if the trans is over heating or if the speedomoter fuse is blown, but you would know that one becouse your speedomoter wont work at all.... i have this happen alot and you just have to find what made the trans over heat... the reason these other guys had pricy repairs is couse they let it happen to long and it fried the trans or the repair shop milked them...

10. Shack

Shack LawnSite Member

I have a tranny cooler.