Blisters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnmowingperson, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Lawnmowingperson

Lawnmowingperson LawnSite Member

Okay I just got a blister on my foot and I'm starting mowing lawns in april. what do you guys do when you get a blister on your foot?

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Get better shoes.

3. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Agree 100%

I got blisters once, wearing an older pair of Timberland Boots...Went out and spent the 200 bucks on a pair of better boots and haven't had a problem since.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Get shoes that fit right. I haven't had a blister on my feet since I was a teenager and that was about 40 years ago. And if your blister doesn't heal up by April then you have bigger problems than just blisters.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

A little Neosporin and a bandaid. It should be gone in a week.

6. Cummins343

Cummins343 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Kansas

I do nothing. Got blisters all the time in the infantry.

7. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

I wash the skin thoroughly, then I heat a pin in a flame until it's glowing, and use that to pop it (that way it's guaranteed sterile).
    A quick rinse in alcohol (the cleaner and dryer the skin is, the better a bandage will stick), and then I cover it with a compeed bandage. Those are meant to stay on for a few days.

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Better boots and socks. Is this your first season?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. rywnygc

rywnygc LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, same here. Option #1...If it's real bad, take the boot off, put some 100MPH tape on it and drive on!

Option #2... Get some vagisil cream to rub on it.

Option #3... Stop worrying about blisters and just pick at it in front of the wife like we all do.

Geez....blisters.....wait till you cut a finger off.

10. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Quality boots & socks are your best defense. I personally recommend hikers over workboots due to the tread and enhance lateral stability.

When you get home, get out of your boots and socks so your feet & boots can dry out.

Quality footwear
    A) you'll want waterproof for dewy and moist conditions -> midtops or higher protect you in tall(er) grass
    B) GoreTex XCR (or similar fabric/treatment/etc) is an enhanced waterproof layer designed for Xtreme Conditions like Summer heat...it breathes
    C) no achy feet for me at the end of the day + feet feel good the next morning = PRICELESS!!

Vasque Breeze Mids GTX (~$145) fit my feet well. I hate experimenting on on footwear that's $100+, so I've stuck with what works...even though I only get 3 months out of a pair.

If you're walking all day then your footwear WILL breakdown. I let new pains (foot/ankle/knee/hip/back) let me know when it's time for another pair. Usually it around the 10-12 week's time that I'll sense it's time to reinvest in my feet. TOTALLY worth it. Your feet are your foundation...it's $$$.$$ well spent.

PS Do your research on quality footwear. IE = Some boots are insulated...and you WON'T like them in the Summer.