1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard Plows

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by John Allin, Nov 8, 2000.

1. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Blizzard had a booth at GIE, and a truck with a Blizzard plow. I went over it big time (had some people wonder what I was doing laying under the truck). I saw some things I didn't like much, and had quite a conversation with the rep who was there.

He told me that they sold 1300 plows last season and didn't have any complaints about 'tweaking', or the wings not functioning, or anything like what we have all discussed on this forum.

I'm curious..... does anyone have any first hand knowledge of anything that actually did go wrong with a Blizzard last winter ?? Or, were we just all 'thinking out loud' about what MIGHT go wrong with them....

The things I was concerned about were that the hydralic lines to the cylinders that work the wings are enclosed in steel with a bolted on cover to the area where the cylinders are located. If the line from the pump to these cyliders blows, you have to take off the cover on the rear of the plow, then contort yourself to get a wrench in the area where the line attaches to the cylinder to get it off. LOTS of work. And, the blade bolts are countersunk into the cutting edge. If you don't have one of their bolts, your sunk. And the bolts are 4" long.

Not user friendly at all.

Please post of any first hand knowledge of problems that arose last year.
  2. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

The "blizzards" are starting to show up around here. The local "Boss" dlr is now selling them. I have not had the time to look, was curious what you saw/thought.

The protective cover over the piston/lines may not be good for easy access. It may be good for protection of those components. Same thoughts to the special bolt heads. They may be a pain to change, but maybe there is a positive benefit that outweighs the extra labor to change. Not knocking your observations, just thinking out loud.

If these "different" designs make their plow more reliable, then they are value added, if NOT??

Think I'll wait a year or two and see how they perform/hold up to a tough winter or two.

Want to buy one and let us know how they fare?? LOL...

3. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the idea is good, but I'm not ready to be the one to work out the bugs for them.

Personally, when something breaks down in 5 degree, blowing snow conditions - I don't want to be lying for too long on my back trying to operate a closed end wrench for a half hour with no gloves on. Not my idea of fun.

However.... that aside, the plow concept shown by the Blizzard sure looks like a good idea in theory. Sure hope it works in practice.
  4. snow

snow Guest

<b>first off- i have no experience with the plows.</b> I have gotten info about the truck ones and the skidsteer ones along with the video. The concept looks great, but i don't know how well it will hold up. For example- where i live (greenwich,ct-no i'm not a rich kid) we tend to get more wet snows due to the geographic location, and i could imagine guys trying to push a full load of wet snow in the scoop position. someone brought this up a while ago , and someone said that they had a friend with one,and they said it got messed up. i'd wait until they get the flaws out until i try one.

just my $.02

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

I tried to get a better look at them at their web site, but it's under construction. http://www.blizzardplows.com I can see why they had to use the countersunk bolts. At first after reading your post, I figured "no big deal" since you can torch them off like most people do, then after visiting their site, I see why you <B>have</B> to use countersunk bolts.
    As far as the steel covers, I'd hate to see what's under one after a year or two of use. I'd also hate to not be able to inspect the lines prior to use each time too. I can't say I have seen any around here in use yet. After the first snow, maybe I will have seen one or two who knows.

6. Alan

Alan Member

I looked at those plows over at S.A. Macleans up in Maine. I like the concept but I'd sit on it a while before I'd put my money down.

As for the countersunk bolts, they are most likely "plow bolts" (imagine that :) ) and should be available at almost any urban commercial hardware supplier. My Woodward Co. (Albany, NY) catalog shows 4" plow bolts in several diameters as a stock item.
  7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the Hiniker plow tips over for back dragging that to me would be more usefull. http://www.hiniker.com
  8. landscaper3

S.A Macleans is only 1/2hour from our house in Maine we also bought a 1ton off him years ago. he advertises in http://www.unclehenrys.com alot under construction he has some big rigs up here.
  9. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing I didn't like when I looked at the Hinniker "C Plow" is the piano hinge that runs the length of the moldboard. The pin looks to be about 1/4" diameter. Maybe 5/16", it might be strong enough.....
    I saw a demo of the plow when ny snow pros had the BBQ in Sept. Hinniker had a rep there with a C plow. It also seemed you'd need the optional "skid" kit for the top on the sides, to help trap snow for backdragging. The rep said you don't "need" them, but I think you would.

10. landscaper3

I think with Hiniker plows all should wait a year as of the Blizzards im sure they have all the problems as car manufactures have with new model releases, wait a year for the bugs to be corrected and that Hiniker plow may be the top dawg.