Block Adhesive

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Awhile ago I tested liquid nails on some Pennsylvania field stone it was impossible to seperate the stone without destroying it, impressed I soaked the glued stone in water for a week or 2 still destroyed the stone getting it apart. The stuff is tenacious.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

We use PL poly in the 29 oz tubes, a case of 12 is around $90.00 I've tried the gator glue and it didn't hold as well and cost more than the PL poly. The PL poly is also stronger than the PL landscape block adhesive.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, the Basic PL is stronger than the PL Landscape Adhesive. The only difference I've found between the two (aside from strength) was the Landscape PL doesn't ooze and run like the regular PL does when you stop squeezing the trigger and release the catch.

4. jmkr02

jmkr02 LawnSite Senior Member

is the pl the stuff made by locktite? We switched to srw after the I think it was the pl that went to a low voc non stick formula.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jmkr02

Posted via Mobile Device

6. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know anything about the formulas but I do know many of the block adhesives dry hard causing them to pop loose during freeze and thaw cycles. The PL polyurethane doesn't dry hard so it can shift without coming loose. I'm no scientist but this is what I have learned after years experience.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. dnc19694339

dnc19694339 LawnSite Member

We use PL Premium. Have to get the premium. Get it at Lowes by the case its about $6/tube.

8. jmkr02

I agree with the pliability pulling walls apart after 15 to 20 years to make way for additions the pliable stuff holds.
    Posted via Mobile Device