1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

block rates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Nov 21, 2000.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

im gona be getting all new equiptment and i want to get the extra money and extra acounts.ive been thinking about block rates what would you put in the flyer i thought something like this.

i offer a block rate program witch consist of mowing,triming,edgeing,blowing all surfaces n walks off. and bagging it all up .this program is very affordable each house will be cut for 20.oo a house .blockrate offer is a minium of 10 homes per block.you will be getting a notification if 10 homes respond in xx amount of time.so get together with your neighbors take advantage of this affordable price.

call today xxxxxx

quality work for affordable prices

ok tell me what you think if im crazy or what .or how to make the flyer better.....thanks
  2. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

If you can get the lawn mowers lined up it is great. Two problems 1)ten is alot of customers right next to each other.2) If one customer gets real mad you could lose 10! I woul look for more like 5 in a row.
  3. ronslawncare

your right my girlfriend said im nuts theres only 20 houses on a block i guess thats wishful thinking so five houses minium requirement do u suggest i even do this or is it a waste of money n time..
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I never give discounts for multiple properties. The reason... if one or two of these properties decides that they no long want you then you are stuck cutting the other properties for a discounted price.

Also no two properties are the same and to give a blanket price of xx dollars to maintain them does not make good business practice.

Seek the properties out individually and you can pick and choose which ones you want and price them accordingly.
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

My brother in law comments to me about
    this being the way the service works
    there.20 00 per yd .They are at his house
    20 min max.He said they had 29 right
    right in his area. Deerfield plantations
    at Surfside SC.
    I believe i would include claus
    to allow extra charges for certain conditions
    though.Also create potential future
    landscaping jobs as added services available
    on request.This let them know up front
    there will be extra charges for extra work.
    Asyou probably already know some will expec t
    This little thing an thatfor no extra mon.
    also consider 25 as times is a changing.
    One last thing. they may not know each
    other( better for you)Id sell concept
    but put it togather myself.That waythey
    still don t know each otherand they are
    working directly with you. It may avoid
    a big loss of accts if one is disatisfied.
    Sorry so long but my thiughts. country TM
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

ron--come down ot my area for a test run.

I have a residential lot and I'll pay you $20 for the service you offer. you could see if you think the deal that you are offering is going to work out for you.

personally, no way would I cut my next five neighbors properties, providing the service you offer, for a hundred bucks. in otherwords, even with no travel time the numbers don't look good.

don't get me wrong, I'm not above filling in a schedule with a twenty dollar cut from time to time, but a steady diet...no way!

good luck.

7. ronslawncare

see i understand what you are saying im not looking to get 5 houses only and definately they would have to sign a agrement saying oneyear services i will never cut a house for 20.oo for the fun of it.in long island most houses are 100 by 100 and i only charge 30.00 most of the time but if it is bigger i go up which in my neighborhood theres mostly that size.by myself it takes me 40 mins a house which includes loading and unloading my equiptment .next season my father is going to be working with me.ill be able to bang each house out in a half hour with the bigger equiptment definately..more info is needed did any1 do this b4 i still think in the long run it will make money.
  8. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

Ron...Just say NO!

I have 3 properties in a row that I "discount". Bad business decision on my part. I also have 3 other properties next to each other that I don't discount, very good decision. I hate "wasting time" on the discount properties. The other 3 I look forward to.

Here's another way to generate Spring start-up money and get new customers(residential): Offer a "pre-pay special" of pay for 10 mowings and the 11th mowing is free. This has worked for me and I usually offer this every other year to a select few...we don't want to give too much for free.
  9. Scape Sculptor

Scape Sculptor LawnSite Member

Ron, sounds like a good idea in theory...credit is do for creativity. Which would you prefer? A business built on quantity or quality. I personally choose quality because it pays more. I understand, just starting out you want to get big as fast as you can. You need {want} all this cool bigger new equipment, a nice new shining truck and trailer, and enough money to live comfortably. Hey, I am with you... every time I start thinking hasty about lowering my prices to get the extra work I want. I have to step back and think where I really want to be. If you discount yourself, your going to hate and regret every lawn you do and eventually so will your clients. I hope my impute helps you , just my opinion.

Every lawn has a different set of obstacles. Did you say their all about 10,000 sq.ft.? What kind of equipment are you using now? What are you planning on getting in the spring? How many accounts did you end up with your first season?
  10. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

I used to do the "discount" thing. I found that I spent much of my time trying to hurry to make a buck or two. Quality is where the money is. You have to spend time and do the little things that impress the customer. People are willing to pay a little bit more to get a higher standard of service.