Block Splitter

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Nov 15, 2008.

?

Do you own a block splitter??

Poll closed Jan 14, 2009.
  1. Yes, I own one of them thousand dollar splitters, best money ever spent

53.3%
  2. No, we split block and caps by hand, no way I'm paying $1000 for a freakin splitter

46.7%
  1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Do you own a block splitter?

Or Do you split block and caps by hand??

2. PatiosInstalled

PatiosInstalled LawnSite Member

i have every tool but a spliter I just barrow one from my whole seller i think they said there's cost around $1600.

3. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

I have one that came with the trailer I bought equipped for hardscaping. We don't use it much but its handy when we do.

4. copeblk

copeblk LawnSite Member

yes they are expensive, paid 1400 for ours, but when buliding stairs, walls, collums, there's nothing better, its more than paid for itself in time spent and quality of split. and yes we have split by hand before, still do if need be but this accecpst blocks 10" high and 13" long. also great for spliting limestone treads when a rough end to match the face is desired

5. copeblk

copeblk LawnSite Member

forgot to say, sometimes it works too well, like with weathered versalock, the side split is too "nice" compared to the weatheard face.

6. PatiosInstalled

PatiosInstalled LawnSite Member

we just take a hammer and make the split end match the factory face.

7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Could someone post a link on what they think is a great stone splitter (guillitine) I have one but it weighs around 100lbs and is rather clumsy to work with.

8. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

wheres the rent option?

9. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I saw cut and use a brush hammer($121) to beat it up. You can get the hammer from bon tools and it works mush better than a regular mason hammer.

10. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

We have two of the Probst splitters. We do a lot of combo walls and have one set at 6" and one at 3" so it saves time adjusting every time you change sizes. Wouldn't be without.