Block Splitters

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jreiff, Mar 14, 2006.

1. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

For those if you who have block splitters, was wondering which one you prefer. The one where you break the block by pulling the lever over or the one that has the hydraulic pump? We have used one with the hydraulic pump and seem to work really well. Nice splits and all. Is there a big difference in splits between the lever action and hydraulic splitter?

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we have the probst block splitter and it works fine.
    i can't see any reason for the hydro one. the manual is not hard to use.

3. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

How are the splits with you Block Splitter YardPro?

We went an looked at one today, a used one that a fellow landscaper has for sale that he wants to get rid of, because he is going out of business. We tested it out and seemed that all the split split alittle off. ONe side would be conave, the other would be convex. This ever happen to you???

4. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

The manual one works fine for block. We have a hydraulic one as well that worked great on some types of natural stone. I'm not sure if I would invest the extra money in a hydraulic one if I were just going to use it for block but since it splits some of the natural stone we use very well the hydraulic one is worth it's weight in gold. Your worries about corner stones for columns and end of walls are over...you can make them damn near perfect every time depending on the stone

5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We have the block splitter from Pavetech as well. We don't have any problems with concave splits, so I would walk away and buy a new one.

Chris

6. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anybody else still do their splits old school? We use a saw and a chisel. It's fast and easy.

7. chevytrucks84

chevytrucks84 LawnSite Member

how much does a block splitter cost...do you guys use this for all of you pavers or do you use a saw for cleaner cuts on pavers that aren't tumbled

Thanks
    Patrick

8. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

We have a manual wall splitter but yes Mike lots of times I have split with hammer and chisel without even using the saw....especially smaller block like a split stack.

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

never had an issue with a crooked split. the probst has replacable breaker blades. the one you looked at may have a bent blade.

the splitters are about $100.00

and mbella, i only use a chizel for small stuff where the splitter is too bulky.
    the splitter is so much faster than the chisel, why would you want to not use it?

10. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

$100 ! We cant be talking about the same splitter... I can't remember the exact price but it was a helluva lot more than $100