Block to siding

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by neversatisfiedj, May 21, 2007.

1. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a set of stairs I'm building and they will but to the siding of the house. Should I just leave the siding there or cut out the siding so I can get my block flush ?

2. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd cut the siding and install flashing. How else would you keep water from being an issue in the gap?

3. neversatisfiedj

Why would water be an issue ? You would not touch the existing install, just butt your block to it.

4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe I'm not correctly envisioning what you're talking about. So if I understand this, your block comes up into the siding (therefore above the sillplate and at the level of the sheathing). I would assume that you're butting the block flush to the foundation wall as you come up, so if you just butt up to the siding you'll have a gap- the difference between the siding and the foundation wall. If the top of the steps are pushed out the thickness of the siding but the lower courses butt against the wall, you'll have a place for water to sit.

Dave

5. neversatisfiedj

Yeah , I want to cut the siding. How do I properly flash the area ? Thx Dave.

6. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

Stairs look so much better when you cut the siding and install J channel. We just remove the siding and install aluminum flashing behind the area that the stairs will be running it past the siding and just below the sheathing. then build the stairs to it, reinstall the siding and J channel and done.

P1010179.jpg

7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Lots of time in those steps eh?

8. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

they where a budget buster for sure.

9. neversatisfiedj

Thanks Chris , yeah I keep underestimating stairs. You think it won't take you long but they do , and alot of material.

10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice workmanship.
    Mike