Blocking Discharge chute

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grassboy, Apr 29, 2000.

1. Grassboy

Grassboy LawnSite Member

I need to make something or if it is already in production, buy something that I can put on my Exmark Lazer hp chute to block the grass. The little chute it comes w/ does nothing, it barely directs the grass towards the ground at all. I need something I can put on their that I can use to cover the discharge when going past mulch beds. And after I am around the mulch bed, I can quickly(in a matter of seconds while I am still on the mower) pull the blocker back so I can mow like normal. <br>Did I totally confuse any of you out their w/ that description? Please help me.<br>Thanks<br>Grassboy

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Pop rivet a piece of sheet metal to the end of the discharge chute, and snip and form it into a downward curve, then when you dont want grass in the beds just flip it down, when youre past flip it back up again. Should take you all of 20 min to make, and you should be able to scrounge the metal somewhere. Maybe even an old license plate.<p>Bill

3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen a couple guys that welded a piece of wire mesh (like that used on a trailer ramp) to the discharge shield.

4. Grassboy

Grassboy LawnSite Member

Doesn't the mesh wire totally clog the chute eventually???<br>

5. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

Fasten a heavy strip of rubber belting to a piano hinge (the length of the chute opening) then rivit or screw the piano hinge to the top edge of the chute, then flip it up or down as you need it.

6. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Mesh will clog. But you are welding it to the chute. Put the chute down when you need to block clippings from flower beds etc. Then flip the chute with the mest attached up and out of the way.

7. Grassboy

Grassboy LawnSite Member

What's a piano hinge? Does it have to be from a piano?<br>

8. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

Ask at your hardware store or Home Depot for the piano hinge.

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

A piano hinge is a continuous hinge and can be up to several feet long. It's just a name for a hinge. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

10. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

grassboy, are you mowing or smoking the grass? Just kidding; piano hinges out of a Spinet piano work best :)<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>