1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blocking driveways......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Aug 4, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Got into an arguement with this @ss today claiming he couldn't get out of his driveway. I wasn't even in his driveway, i was across the street and down alittle further. It could have gotten pretty heated and out of hand, but i didn't want to look like a piece of trash fist fighting in front of a customers house with my lettered truck and shirt. This guy was a real piece of garbage.
    Anyone have incidents blocking a road or driveway?

Keep in mind, the guy i was argueing with is Puerto Rican. this guy said he was telling my amigo to get me to move the truck. I told him he doesn't speak much english at all. His reply was I didn't know he spoke spanish........:confused: :confused: dumd@ss.
  2. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I personally havent had any problems with people complaining about me parking in front of their houses. However I've heard some horror stories about it. Cops were called, city was called, husbands were called to come home and cause a scene. I never park in front of the house im cutting. It makes is 10x harder trying to cut the lawn with a truck and trailer inches from my hands and my mower. Plus I cant edge very easily and its hard to blow all the clippings out of the street when im done cutting. I mean Im there for a short period of time. Cant people just understand that there are 168 hours in a weeks? Im sorry Im legally occupying the street in front of their house for an hour at the most.
  3. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I have this one property on a corner lot and every Friday when im there this old fart and his wife come by and yell at me because im not 30ft from the stop sign! I'd have to just about park 3 houses down to not block anybodys driveway. This guy comes by all the time, he even brought a Texas DPS handbook so i could look at it. Old fart! Iguess if her house was on fire he wouldnt let a fire truck there either.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

At least we all park on the street. I don't understand why almost every other type of contractor parks in the customers driveway. I mean, the plumber shows up, and its much to far to walk an extra 20 feet from the street, so he parks in the driveway, right on the edge of the grass so it f**** my day up.

Could you imagine what a customer would say if we pulled our trucks & trailers into their driveway? I'm sure we'd hear about it.
  5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Good point Hoolie.

I only have the occasional problem. Nothing big. Usually when I have a choice of blocking a drive or a mailbox. You know I always pick wrong. But so far no one has been an idiot.

Well except this one woman.(not a customer) I moved my truck up blocking her drive so the mail man could deliver her mail. Then she yells at me. to move it before she leaves. Mind you she is on foot.

I said, Ma'am. "As soon as I blow of your neighbor's property I will be leaving. I pulled up so your mailman can access the mailbox. If I am blocking it he doesn't have to give you your mail. I did that as a courtesy."

response. Well you should park somewhere else. I have to leave at noon.

It was 9:15. One of those conversations that you will never win.

Oh ok, roll eyes as I turn around and fire up the blower.
  6. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

F you I have work to do.. You shouldn't be home during the day any lazy a$$ hole, get a job
  7. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Unless they are shift workers :eek: :D
  8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

if someone is genuine in their request, I will accommodate.

if they are being a prick, I will not.

it is that simple.

remember...alot of situations can have a bad history before you ever get the job....

9. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I second that.
  10. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

Had a small housing complex, parked the same place every week across the street. One day using the walkbehind with the sulky, making first pass around buildings when someone screams in my ear. Scared the hell out of me thought I ran the mower over someone. Some little prick screaming at me that I blocked his driveway. Which I hadn't. When I figured out what he was screaming about I told him he was lucky I didn't punch his lights out for scaring me like he did and he could go f--- himself beore I'd move. He threatend to call cops, told him make himself happy. He jumped in his truck backed out of his driveway and went in search of a cop ( a very small town). 10 minutes later he pulls up and parks his front tires on the ramp to my trailer, thinking to keep me from moving the truck and trailer before the local cop got there. I didn't see a cop so I was heading across the street to beat his a-- when the local cop showed up. Asked what the problem was, I told him what the dickhead had done and pointed out to the cop that I was indeed not blocking the driveway. So the punk is screaming that I can't park on his side of the street. The cop tells him in no uncertain terms I could park on any part of the street I choose since it is a public street and to shup up. He asks me if I would move my truck and I said sure, all someone has to do is ask politely. I also asked him if I could press charges for damage to my trailer if the jerk had damaged it with his tires. He looked at the jerk, smiled and said he'd be watching for damage when the truck was backed upoff of my tailgate. Saw the cop later in town, stopped and talked. He said the little jerk was always causing trouble, nothing major just a PIA, and said he was kinda hoping the tailgate was bent when he pulled off. Next week parked same place I always had and enjoyed watching the jerk stand in his yard for the 45 minutes I was there just staring at me. Was kinda childish but I had to smile and flip him the bird as I drove off.