Bloody Truck Drivers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassrootsinab, Jun 16, 2004.

1. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

Here's my problem. I cut a couple of industrial accounts that have narrow boulevards. Last fall the province ran a fibre optic cable in the boulevard right of way. Tore up the turf, laid the line and backfilled. This spring they came back and sprinkled a little seed. The ground is SO soft. There are trucks (semis) coming and going all the time. They've been driving up onto the boulevard and creating so many ruts it looks like crap. I'm not in the contruction end, only the cutting and maintenance so I really don't have the equipment to fix it. The owners aren't willing to pay to fix it. One rut is literally 3 feet deep and about 10 feet long. I don't know if I should stake out the turf and put up a rope to keep the trucks off or what. Any ideas? I can't even get the mowers in as I'd be chewing up my blades on the clay and gravel. The string trimmer makes it look like crap!! I'm really upset about this 'cause it makes the boulevard look like crap. It used to be a nice long well maintained area. Now it's full of potholes beacuse idiot truck drivers can't make a turn in the road!!!

2. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I should add that some trucking companies park their trucks along one of the strips. Should I leave a note on the truck window asking that they park off the grass or do I leave it up to the property owners?

3. Loganwildman

Loganwildman LawnSite Member

I have been hired twice to repair the lawn at a company from damage caused by trucks. We even brought in some boulders that were 2-4ft dia, and the drivers that have never learned to back a trailer just hit them with their tires or bumpers and push them out of the way, which tears the yard up even more. Last time they hired me, it was to repair the damage from a semi that tried to go through the parking lot and couldn't make the swing at the end of a row, so he went out into the yard in a wet area and dropped to the axles and got stuck. I quoted the job and was hired by their company to do the repair, but still haven't been paid. coming up on 45 days now. Pi$$es me off because the big companys think they can pay us little guys whenever they durn well please. (Sorry vented a little)

4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

You won't like the response from the driver.

Geoff

5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

If the owner's don't care, I'd guess its out of your hands. Just mow what you can mow and leave the ugly parts because like you said, there's not much you can do anyhow but waste your time trying. It used to be pretty and now it ain't but its not your job to fix it, just to maintain it. If trucks can't stay off of the boulevard and have to park on the grass, the the place needs to be reconstructed to meet the current needs. Note that I didn't say. . .the lawn guy has to spend all his time fixing something that will be torn up again tomorrow. Then again, this is only one LCO's viewpoint. . .mine.