Blotchy lawn color

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 1969mako, May 22, 2005.

1. 1969mako

1969mako LawnSite Member

Have a question I was hoping someone could help.
    I live in New England and my lawn is in great shape. The only problem I have is the lawn looks blotchy in color. Has anyone seen this? I am going to put down an Iron product in hopes of correcting the arias that are not as green as other arias. Do you think this will correct it? Do you suggest a PH test?
    Thanks for your Input.
    -=daveg=-

2. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Picture? Neal

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

you have some light green grass in clumps i assume. sounds like annual blue grass.

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

did you overseed in the last several years?

5. surfisher211

surfisher211 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

sounds like a fungus such as " brown spot" i just treated a customers house for it. look at the blades of grass if there green and u have brown in the middle of the blade then u have brown spot. how often do u water ? what times do u water ? have u applied fertilizer lately ? all of these could bring brown spot on . i used a chemical called compass to treat the areas not infected by the brown spot

here is a pic of what the brown spot looks like on turf grass good luck !

[​IMG]

6. 1969mako

1969mako LawnSite Member

Thank you for all the feedback.
    The problem is my yard isn’t a constant color. I enclosed a pic that I hope will depict the problem.
    -=daveg=-
    PS.. I have fertilized twice this year so far. Both times with lescos starter fertilizer.

Back.jpg

7. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Two guesses from me:
    #1 Mixed seed blend lawn=modelled color
    #2 Fert streaking from improper spreading of fert.

8. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, kinda tough to tell with the picture although it looks like a nice stand of turf. Seems you have been doing a pretty good job maintaining it, so for that reason i'd rule out the misapplication of fert and stick with different grass varieties.

9. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

it certainly looks like an improper application of fert. Why are you using a starter fert on an established lawn, anyway? Not certain of the soil conditions in the very vague new england area, but you may want to try a straight iron product with a calibrated spreader to even out the coloring.

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like you are fertilizing with a spreader that is not spreading very well looks like it's dropping it in clumps,and you don't need a starter fert on this lawn.