1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JB926, Nov 23, 2007.

1. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

who is still doing blow downs in NJ. We got about 75-100 more. Boy I cant wait til this is over. Thinking of installing a soccer field in about 2 weeks. Anyone else still have a major project to do?
  2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

You watch your mouth!

Is it optional? Just for fun? Size, source, pics? Tell us more.
  3. lehrjetmx

lehrjetmx LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Need a sub in south to central??? I'm done as of today!!!!!
  4. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

don't forget the surefire if you are doing any blowouts this week, it's gonna be cold and everthing above ground should be frozen, maybe not solid but enough ice to stop airflow through a backflow.
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Oh I hate those days. If you're having to blow through the testcocks they will ultimately freeze up and not allow air though. too small of an opening and the condensation will freeze. Valves may stick open as well due to ice particles. Charge extra if you need to use the torch.

I've had about 5 people call from Wed. afternoon to this morning (Sat) for blow outs. I'm telling them too late. I'm not going to go out and fight it.
  6. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

Dana- I had a call Wednesday afternoon too.

I told the guy Monday afternoon if it warms up over 40 or so.

I have yet to blow my own system out-although I did drain the backflow. So, I'll try mine on Monday and see what happens.
  7. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

What I mean is that we have til march to install this 75 head field 2" main. I was wondering if anyone was doing anything like that this late in the season and how late will people be working til and how early will people be starting??I bored today sorry
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I've turned down about 6-7 so far. Just don't want to fight it if it's frozen or partially frozen, and honestly, I just want to close up for the year. If you want I can send any other b/o calls your way.
  9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Just don't discount your price because it is winter work. The job will probably take longer due to it being winter - employees work slower, ground is hard, limited daylight, can't glue when it's real cold, etc. I did that many many years ago and learned very quick not to do it again.
  10. fred333

fred333 LawnSite Member

That is a very good point. I would sometimes increase the price depending on the size of the job.