Blow it out Spring & Fall

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by kipcom, Oct 28, 2005.

1. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Do you service your customers systems spring & fall ? Do you also "blow" out the system in the spring start-up process ?

If you should. This process can tell you alot of how your customers system is going to perform once you turn on the H2o supply. If you should encounter any system problems due to the system being off over the winter months, it is now easier to repair the system due to you have NO water in the pipes,valves etc.

A simple process to do just as if you were shutting the system down. Connect the air supply then open each controller / zone using the system control panel ( manual on-off ) and check that each are working properly, including the backflow device ( repair if needed as necessary & re-test ).

Ok,,,some will agree...some will disagree Better to "Air it out" than get wet and dig in the mud. :cool2:
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

No, thanks. I'll stick to just turning the water on. I ain't dragging no compressor around in the spring.
  3. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

Ditto, Taking 5 minutes to dig up & repair a break for the 2 customers out of 100 that have one is much easier & far less time consuming than blowing out systems in April.
  4. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

Say What?? You got me confused.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't want to dig in the mud, what are you doing here? ;)
  6. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

If I don't come home covered in mud, my wife wants to see if I have beer on my breath.
  7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

If I don't come home covered with mud and dropping the last few dried globs all over her clean floors it's, "Been R&D on the computer all day?"
  8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to see if there are any leaks in the system when you start it up, doesn't it help to have water in the pipes?
  9. PurpHaze

"Gee Mrs. Jones. It worked fine when I started up your system with air. Don't know why there's a water leak now." :p
  10. PurpHaze

Since we don't need to winterize here our spring startup is relegated to getting the "sewer smell" out of that water that's been standing in the pipes all winter. :D

About 10 years ago we had some administrator that thought it would be a good idea to have all systems fire their zones for two minutes each week. Wouldn't listen until someone slipped on irrigation water that had turned to ice during a December run and broke a leg. :dizzy: