Blow out Baffle PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Premo Services, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a lazer hp 52inch with ultra vac

:( I bought the blow out baffle thinking this was going to be the next best thing to sliced bread. Well guess what, I am still getting blowout from the discharge side with the ultra vac.
    What kind of blades are you guys using with the baffle??????
    I thought they said you can use high lift blades and suck the leaves off the driveway. Well this just is not acceptable.
    Would appreciate any recommendations for this problem, just doesn't seem right, the price of ultra vac, then they say get low lift blades, and no blowout but all the leaves don't get picked up also. Then they say get the blow out baffle, and still blow out.
    Kind of pissed right now!!!!!!!!:angry: :mad: :angry: :mad: :angry:

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You will always get a little on the discharge side. The left and middle blowout is pretty much gone with the baffle. I use gators with mine to handle things. But on pavement you do have to make sure the middle and left do most of the work. The time savings with the baffle and without is 50%.

3. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I also have the HP 52"... with ultra-vac.. I've found that the gators work well..... order mine from J-Thomas....... not Gator brand.. but similar style mulchers..... anyway.... I do get some blowout toward the discharge side... (I do also have the baffle).... I find it best to simply overlap a little more when I'm travelling with the discharge side facing "clean" turf... therefore overlapping extra on every-other pass...... not always necessary, but easy enough to do to prevent excess blowout.

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody ever try mixing the blades? Could you use 2 regular blades and a gator on the discharge side? Just a thought.

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I feel for ya Tony, but have no answers. The exmark fella just gave me alot of suggetions to try for my 48 exmark on the blowout issue. He is always very helpful, but with the amout of blowout I am getting, it would take a miricle to make it tolerable. These trivantage decks sure cut pretty, but the blowout is maddness. I have run scags, and Toro's in the past, and have never had anything blowout wise. I can pick up leaves with my cub off a drive near the shoot or anywhere else without noticeable blowout. It is to bad they don't put the ultracut deck on everything.

Good luck
    Jay

7. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I see what you mean by blow out it is ridiculous

8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

For me, doubles during leaf cleanup produces blowout. I've got doubles on my trim mower and I use it some because it has a bagger. This year the blowout is incredible but, I also noticed the bag was a lot heavier than normal because the bits of leaves were smaller and packed more tightly. I'm thinking of taking the doubles off for the rest and see if the blowout problem will be better. My Bob-Cat with single gators does not blow out.

9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Tony:

By removing the 'doubles' you will see a reduction in blowout. Right now I'm running the Micro-Mulch kit with the extra anti-blowout baffle to do leaves (Ultra-Cut deck). With 'doubles' mounted I still had some slight blowout...particularly on the hard surfaces. I changed back to singles (OEM 'wavy' mulchers or gators) and it helped a lot with the blowout.

The problem with 'doubles' is that the bottom blade is positioned BELOW the fixed baffle under the deck by about 1/4 inch...so that's whats causing most of the blowout. If you still have your 'doubles' mounted, turn the bottom blade towards the front of the deck and notice the position of the blade in relation to the fixed airflow baffle. You will see what I'm talking about....the blade is LOWER than the baffle. After mounting up a 'singles' configuration look at it again and notice that the blade is now even with the bottom of the baffle.

I schedule the lawns I service that have heavier leaf cover (especially those darn sugar maples!) for the same days and will mount 'doubles' for those days...and deal with the little bit of extra blowout on the discharge side. When I remember the blowout I had running 'doubles' without the anti-blowout baffle it seems like a difference of night and day...not bad at all now...still hardly any blowout on the left side, and center area, of the deck. The days of piling up tons of debris on my foot panel, and in my lap, are now a thing of the past because of the anti-blowout baffle. :)

PS:

Dropping the RPM's to about 3/4 throttle, and slowing the forward groundspeed a bit helps a lot with blowout too. Also, on hard surfaces, drop the deck as close to the surface as it will go. This seems to help a bit too.