Blow out checklist

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jbailey52, Oct 5, 2013.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, so first off I'm usually in a different section of this site. And I have to say you guys act and correspond completely different. You really seem to want to help and give tips to each other vs. the other side where I usually am.

Anyway, do any of you use a check list of sorts for each winterization blowouts you do? I'm just thinking for technicians, and reference to have a sheet for each customer that is done to have a completed checklist. If you do, care to share?

Thanks!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Blowout system
    Make sure vb covers are back on.
    wd-40 BF
    Close all gates
    leave door hanger

3. jbailey52

Is there a necessity/benefit to manually opening the valves rather than running them from the clock? I have some commercial properties that the VB are completely buried (I could locate with my equipment but never have)
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. jbailey52

Also how so you guys scheduling getting into people's basements / crawl spaces to get to main shut off and garages for the clocks? What's the most practical way to schedule. This has always been a hassle for me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

It's a pain in the azz, no good way to schedule it. Give the customer a one or two hour window of time that you will show up. Or they can leave a door unlocked, give you the garage code, location of the a hide-a-key, etc.

6. jbailey52

As I was asking this a company left a door hanger at my house! They do a 'check which time frame works for you" 8-13, 12-4, 4-6
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If they shut off the water, the rest can proceed with no one needing to be home.

8. jbailey52

Thanks guys. Any advice on the manual/clock valve opening technique when blowing out?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

We have 95% of customers shut off their own water. All systems we installed since 2000 have exterior controllers. Older systems I staple a copy of a drawing of the system to the service order and we do em by the valves. 300 done so far , not one needed to be scheduled yet.

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

The customers on the a list leave a message like this " Hello Steve , this is Bill Johnson from 1234 main st westford MA . My water is off , my garage door code is 0000 enter . I don't need a call back but if you need to reach me my # is 978 555-5555."