blow-out question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by scott's turf, Oct 19, 2006.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I am blowing out some systems this year for the first time and a few of the systems I will have to blow through the testcock on the backflow. Most of the systems have 3/4" febco backflows. I am running out tonight to get some adapters and wanted to be sure I had it covered. What thread sizes are the testcocks usually? Are they pipe thread? Any input would be very helpful. Thanks

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

1/4" NPT on most older testcocks, which usually thread into the device on 1/8" NPT threads. Newer BP's can have a flare connector threaded into the testcock.

3. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

thanks Boots

4. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you seen a fitting that fits on the flare type? I have tried 1/8" male into the pvb after removing the the testcock with no success.

5. Remove the testcock w/ the flare and install a testcock off the truck w/ 1/4 inch threads.....then re-install the flare type afterwards....

6. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

get some saddles, some older systems need saddles downstream of the BF, I have no idea how some of these older systems have been winterized in the past.

7. Flow Control

The flare testports that I am thinking of are not 1/4 or 1/8" the thread is smaller.

8. Hmmm.....punt?

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think you really want a single fitting for that. Probably better to use a couple of fittings on a bit of small hose, to take the weight of an air hose off the testcock. No matter how you go, you won't set any speed records blowing through a 1/8" pipe connection, with or without a testcock.

10. Flow Control

What would you do if you have copper coming out of the house into a PVB with those port sizes and then copper going back into the ground. No plugs or boiler drains either, or anything to hook up to in the basement.