Blow-out?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DTM65, May 14, 2000.

1. DTM65

DTM65 LawnSite Member

I'm considering making some modifications to my deck to reduce the amount of clippings that blow out from the front/side of the deck and end up covering my legs/top of deck with about 1/2&quot; to 3/4&quot; layer of clipping after mowing around 2 acres.<p>I am using a multching plate and mowing at a height of 4&quot;. I recent switched to 2 blades per spindle and the amount of blow-out seemed to increase. I'm using a Scag STT 61&quot;.<p>I'm considering doing one of three things:<p>1.) Add some kind of heavy rubber flap down from the front of the deck a couple of inches.<p>2.) Decreasing the spacer length between the blades and the spindles by 1&quot;. (Then I would need to set the deck at 3&quot; to mow at 4&quot;.) The result of this would be lowering the skirt of the deck by 1&quot;. May cause airflow problems due to reduced distance from deck to blades?<p>3.) Shud-up and mow.<p>Any constructive thoughts or suggestions.<p>Thanks,<br><p>----------<br>D. Tom<br>

2. Gus

Gus LawnSite Member

You don`t want to raise the blades up to high in the deck because your cut quality will suffer. I`ve found that about 3/8 of an inch between the bottom of the blade and the bottom of the deck to be about right. Never had the problem you described with my riders.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

One other option you missed, is take the mulching plate off. That's the main problem. The clippings have to blow out some place.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I had a blow out problem. I had a friend who works at a metal fab shop cut me a steel strip 1/8&quot; thick by the shape of my deck from one caster wheel to the other 3/4&quot; wide and I had it welded flat to the bottom edge of the deck.It creates a shelf and stops most of the blow out. I'm cutting at 3&quot;.