Blow outs-19.95

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RRH, Oct 7, 2005.

1. RRH

RRH LawnSite Member

You can sure tell its getting towards winter.Signs going up on every corner for cheap blow outs-No Lic,bond or other overhead.Makes ya want to hire these jokers and have them do my blow-outs.Gas and diesel at 3.00 a gallon here.Just does not meke sense.Enoughh blowing steam.Maybe a lot of repairs this spring with this going on.Anyone else fighting these scabs?????

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't seen any that low...My minimum is $45 for a 9 head system. Takes 14-16 minutes including reeling up the hose and taking a sip of coffee

3. RRH

RRH LawnSite Member

Saw 3 signs at this price within 500 feet of each other.You can tell these are not liget .Call and ask for company name and phones go dead. Oh Well.

4. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Well you have that one dude in Michigan that will come out test your backflow and do the spring start up for $35 it would not surprise me if he is charging $10 per winterizing. This is why we should all unite.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

RRH, I was just in Spokane last weekend, I saw those signs as well and smiled.

Over here, Its $30-$50 regardless of who is doing it.

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Law enforcement has been doing stings around here for the past six months. They've cited handymen, landscapers and other home contractors for not having licenses. They also ran a sting at the recent Home Expo and cited nine exhibitors for the same thing when they entered into contracts.

7. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I'll count my blessings I haven't had to deal with that aspect of this buisness, but I'm sure its comming. Yeah, $3/gal fuel and a tow behind rents for under $100/day, so fuel and machine do not equal $200. If they can do 20/day @$20/ea that still leaves $200/day and there are a lot of hungry people here in the midwest who would work for that. Quality of the winterization would worry me, but there are a lot of misers out there who only learn the hard way. I've got a guy who tried $10 turn ons two years ago in my area. On and backflow test for $10!! Funny thing is a lot of the competition is getting $80-100 and he didn't see a major increase in customers. The average for the year here to on and off is around $180 and I do a seasonal package for $100 and I'm not increasing my market share either. People are funny. I've decided all you can do is what you do and do it well and let things run their course.

8. Leo's

Leo's LawnSite Member

there are a bunch of companies, or people around here 20 bucks. They took 2 subs I have been doing for like 8 years i gave a sub discount of 35 bucks per house and it was like over 100 houses per sub at like no less than 8 zones with 4-5 heads per zone. This jackass came in this year and is doing them for 20 bucks so we lost them over a measly 15 bucks our normal rate is like 50 bucks for these type of systems

9. RRH

RRH LawnSite Member

Hey guys,looks like this problem is not just a local problem.Do not mind fair competition,but seeing all these blow outs on cheap corrugated plastic signs is getting carried away.If they were legit companies following set rules ,like paying L&I,bond and insurance instead of flying under the rules,you would have to look at the way your doing business.By playing by the rules in Washington state ,a legal contractor is being penalized.Sounds like all of you are fighting same problem.Thanks for the feed back.I guess this is just business.Good luck guys in your business endeavors.

10. DGI

DGI LawnSite Member
    from SE Mich

I was going to make a post about this, regarding the local lowballer rate.

I've seen signs for $25 and $30 around here thus far, and another that said 6 houses in a row for $100. I don't have an exact count, since my partner handles the service side, but we're down at least 50 customers from last year. They'll still call us for repair I assume, but they're looking to save $20 or $30 wherever they can. We've also had 4 new installs, maybe more, that informed us during scheduling that they decided to go with whomever (the bargain crew.) :) Of course, all new installs include a free winterization...