Blow outs and the big east coast storm potential problems

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mdirrigation, Oct 26, 2012.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I think MD's point was he didn't want to lose a day he could bill for. Here on LI were safe until Christmas. I would imagine in MD would be the same or later.

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes life throws you a Frankenstorm, and blow outs should be a low priority. But, there are alternatives. Personally, I wouldn't tote around a generator in each truck. Sounds like a headache to me. We are used to manually operating from the VBs anyway. On a mega system though, probably not an option. How about adjusting the schedule? Easy cookie cutter systems that can be done manually until there is power again to operate the controller? Just a thought.

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I am not worried about losing a day , I am worried about losing a week or more . opening valve boxes isnt an option , Honestly I havent seen a station master . We are pretty much safe thru november , but losing a week is 8k to 10k . The generator will slow us down a bit but we are still moving foward , not sitting still .

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

good luck with that one. no one want to pay to locate all those valves, and the grass has long grown over them most times.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

If they are a regular client, you better damn well know where the valves are, and, if it's a cold call, convince them it's in their interest to locate them and have the boxes trimmed.

6. Mdirrigation

Mike that would be fine in an ideal world , but it boils down to the dollar . I have 20 year customers that I dont know where the valves are , I will find them when necessary , If they arent broke dont fix em . I live in an area with the poorest rich people around .

7. Mike Leary

I was just talking with a forum member about that today. You are sure going to be looking like a horse's ass if you blow time and money doing something that should have been done and logged twenty years ago. :hammerhead:

8. Mdirrigation

How do you figure that ? Spending unnecessary time looking for a perfectly good valve that is still working and charging the customer . Not good business . We add customers by getting theit trust and keeping it , if the customer wants us to find a valve we will , but there is no reason to locate something that is working fine .

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I'd add a pigtail first.

10. Mike Leary

................................................bullshit