1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blow outs and the big east coast storm potential problems

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mdirrigation, Oct 26, 2012.

1. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

On our installs we document the locations of our valve boxes. There have been times even with documentation I have trouble finding the valve box I installed that someone else buried after a few years.

just how it goes sometimes

On service calls we don't locate valves unless it's needed. When it's needed I do document the location of the valve.

I personally visit at minimum 2,000 houses out of a year out of our large enough customer base. There is no way I could keep track of all the valve boxes for these houses even with documenting them.

we do offer a much more detailed service call where the valves are indicated in a map of the system
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I can only think how thrilled the one customer would have been to receive the bill for my locating their valve manifold....... under the concrete slab poured for the air conditioning unit payup
  3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Mike I wasnt intrested in what you had for dinner ?

I dont look for valves that are working , no need .
  4. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I agree wit MD on this whole post. My customers will pay for what's needed not extra. There are NO manifolded systems around here. And most are on acres with 15 plus zones. If a zone isn't working them I locate. I think Mike is living in a non realistic world.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Draw em when ya install em. Scan em in pc . Print a copy and staple it to the service order.
  6. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Station Master is the answer. Easy, fairly cheap, good tool to have anyway.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Lucky me. What I was trying to get at, is, in my thirty years, a valve will fail at 4.30 pm on a Friday afternoon (on a long weekend). Without knowing where the valves are, the system will have to be shut down ( if you can find the shut-off) until the offending valve (forward flows are the worst) is located. Feel like working weekends? :dizzy:
  8. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I go out on weekends , its double time , most customers elect to wait . Our shut off valves are in the house .
  9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

We all have different business models, which makes this forum instructive and helpfull.
    If I took on a new client, the first thing I'd do is survey the site to locate all possible places of failure and provide a chart of the locations. Never had anyone complain, especially on Friday. :)
  10. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Just hi-lite the whole property.