Blow outs and the big east coast storm potential problems

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mdirrigation, Oct 26, 2012.

1. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I remember a guy a few years back that spent months looking for a valve with a faulty W/M solenoid. He even had a 521. I wonder how that that would have turned out during blow outs.:dizzy:

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

He would have eaten all the damage, if it had frozen. I understand he learned a lot ( late in life) about a fully shorted solenoid with the mult-strand connected in both directions. :dizzy:

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Mike I have maps of 70% of mine , when I find something it goes on the sheet . But I cant spend hours billing to map out their system .

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You are right, I was jus' sayin' that AT LEAST the valve locations should be known from the git before you take on a new client. They will thank you if problems occur.

5. Mdirrigation

back to the generator thing , a buddy of mine gave me another idea , an inverter in the truck would give pleanty of power to run a controller.

6. irritation

I can't believe you're making a big deal out of it. You might fry some controllers using energy you shouldn't.

7. Mdirrigation

Not a big deal , when the last storm hit maryland we had people out for 4 days and some up to 10 days . I doubt I would fry anything since I am here on my computer using that same generator also running my tv , furnace and refrigerator . I plan to be back blowing out sprinklers wed morning , servicing customers with or without electricity .

8. irritation

Take a day off, it's only late Oct.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Question for some of you cold weather guys - what is your blow out season like, in terms of start and finish? We are almost done here, and have already had two weather fronts that have gotten down to 20 degrees or lower. Sounds like our time frame is earlier, and shorter, for getting blow outs done. We occasionally will have 1-2 days after Thanksgiving where we can do a handful or two. This week is maybe 50% full, and next week we have 10-15 scheduled. So for me, waiting a week would not be an issue at this point, but that may not be the case in other areas.

10. irritation

It's never the same year to year. This year we got an early start because of cool wet weather. Some years it may be mid Oct before we can get going. It's only been below freezing a couple times so far but nothing to worry about backflows busting.