1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Blow outs and the big east coast storm potential problems

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mdirrigation, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto what my daddy said. When I take on management of any irrigation system a complete inventory is taken and everything is mapped.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I've had moles trip the bleeders. If it was one of my clients where the system had been mapped, I could guide him to the v.b. and check the bleeder, or, at least, very gently, dog-down the flow control until I could get over. That sort of service keeps clients happy.

3. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Today I did 3 properties on a stretch on an island. First 2 no power. Cause I'm a good soldier I went to the third to find 2 foot of water in a small basement,.

The whole house service equipment was down there

At least 100k damage if they can salvage the floor
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Autoflow

Autoflow LawnSite Member

How cold does it need to be before you have to blowout a system? It doesn't get that cold here in Sydney but I did a large project in a cold area this past Winter here (it's late Spring now) and I'm not sure if the system needs to be blown out to prevent damage each Autumn. It gets heavy frost most mornings and a bit of snow that usually melts as soon as it hits the ground maybe 4-5 times per year. It is a poly system running off a pump, and the mains and valves are about a foot and a half deep.
    I had never even heard of blowing out systems until I came on Lawnsite.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Start mid sept, will wrap up and layoff help end of next week. Then I will do straglers for another 3 weeks.

6. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

You will probably be fine. Maybe just shut of the main and drain any above ground piping.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I tend to keep my guys employed until Thanksgiving, so I let them do the stragglers. I personally am pretty much done. I have two others that I may do as they need some TLC, but we are waiting until next week with them. Time to put up my feet, collect the money, and relax. Overall blow out numbers are still about 30-40 short of last year, but we should get enough stragglers to cover that.

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I sure like your work ethic, Dana! :clapping::drinkup:

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Damn straight. No point in killing myself from work, I'm gonna die anyway. I make a good living, but not extravagant. I relax, travel, vacation, and spend more time with family, friends and the dogs during the winter months. If I actually enjoyed this industry, I might work harder. But It does give me a good lifestyle to enjoy the good things out there.

10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Went out to do blowouts , truck one did 6 he had 11 scheduled , 4 had electricity 2 he knew where the valves were the other 5 are bebacks . I went out and did 15 , 9 had no electricity , the little harbor freight generator made me an extra $ 600.00 . The generator was $95.00 on sale .