Blow outs / pigtails

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by duckworth, Oct 3, 2013.

1. duckworth

duckworth LawnSite Member

Can you use pigtails to blow out more valves at a time from clock?

2. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

no

are you talking about an external pigtail for a remote? as in no access to the clock on the inside? if so, then you would have no way of putting alligator clips on multiple valve wires inside the clock, from what i understand...i personally have never blown out multiple zones at one time, but i know how it's done...my market is 80% hunter so maybe other brands are different, i know rain bird remotes are more complicated, BUT that means you can do more from the outside than you can with Hunter...5 wires for rain bird, 3 wires for hunter

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I always keep a jump wire with me for blowouts when using a clock. A raindial will blowout 3 zones at once. Other clocks I hook alligator clip to MV then hit other zones while blowing out the one set on clock.

4. Irrigation Contractor

Irrigation Contractor LawnSite Senior Member

5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

Never thought of doing this, other than a time saver, why?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Irrigation Contractor

Irrigation Contractor LawnSite Senior Member

Ummm....time is money.

Winterizations are the last run for cash before the winter and why blow one zone when you can safely do 2-3 at the same time.

All joking aside, we only have a very short time frame to complete 2500-2700 customers so we have to hustle. We will not be able to start for a couple weeks because we were still on the mid 80's this past week. Once the temps dump we literally have at times 5-6 weeks before the first hard freeze.

7. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

On our larger sites with multiple clocks on one POC, I can usually start one clock and then another and then just advance each clock through zones. When I used to do residential blowouts we would just open the valves manually 2 or 3 at a time.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto. Bingo.

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

I just cant see doing that on most systems, cuz the average system I service is 7 or less zones. on larger ones, it makes sense

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

interior clocks yes
    ext , remote