Blower and Edger won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Glenn J, May 2, 2006.

1. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

I picked these both up locally via E-Bay a few weeks ago. The deal was too good to pass up.

The blower is a BillyGoat with a Briggs 5hp. The Edger is a Landscaper's Supply Company with a 3.5hp Briggs. For now, I can't get these to start. I drained both gas tanks and filled them with fresh gas. I can get both to run for a few seconds on carb cleaner, so I'm assuming the "air" and "spark" part of the equation is set. Since I can't get them to run without carb cleaner, I'm going to assume is a fuel issue.

Any idea where I should start?

Here are some pics of the untis:

BillyGoat-Blower.jpg

Edger.jpg

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The blower takes; P# 270026 Diaphragm, # 68987 Carb. mount gasket, # 272409S Carb. to tank gasket. $ 6.90 Total

The edger Takes; P# 272538S Diaphragm, #273113 Carb. mount Gasket, # 272996 Carb. to tank gasket. $ 6.95 Total
    Oh, Gas cap for the edger is # 494559 and is $ 4.85

I can't look up carb. kits without numbers but this is all you should need.
    Just take them apart and spray all passages making sure the fuel pick-up screens are clean as we talked about, Then install the above parts and that should do it. When you go to re-install the air adjustment screw on the blower carb. screw it in all the way (lightly) then open it back up 1 turn for initial start-up, Once it warms up a couple minutes adjust to run the smoothest.

Good Luck

3. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Thanks Rob! I've had the blower carb apart already; forgot to mention that. What's the best way to clean those fuel screens? Does the long metal tube come out of the carb body or is that pressed in at the factory?

Do you think most dealers will have those parts you listed in stock?

4. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

I'm having a heck of a time with the edger carb; I can't separate it from the tank. I have the screws removed and the linkage. I also have the bracket that holds the tank to the frame unbolted. I've got about 1/8th of an inch between the tank and the carb, but can't get it to budge beyond that.

I need to drop the tank so I can access the bolts that hold the carb to the engine. One I have those removed, I'll be able to get to the screws that hold in the diaphram. Those are currently blocked by the muffler.

This thing is a like a big puzzle! :laugh:

5. Restrorob

Once the carbs. are removed and stripped down, Spray cleaner thru the holes where the diaphragm is and that will back flush the screens.
    As for the puzzle, Remove the throttle control plate then the lower tank to block screw. Then use a 3/8" wrench and remove the lower carb. screw then the upper and remove the tank and carb. as a assembly.
    Yep, They are a pain but I'm sure you can handle it. :)

Any dealer should have these parts in stock, They are very common.

See Ya

6. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Thanks! There was a 4th screw hiding under the throttle linkage on the blower. Once I unscrewed it, the tank slid right off.

Ok, will do! I'll spray that diaphram area on both in order to clean the screens.

You are right! I picked everything up today at a local dealer! Hope to install this evening or tomorrow.

:cool2:

7. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Ok, I made some progress today! The blower seems good to go. The only problem is the choke won't stay "choked". The second you pull the engine over (even if it doesn't fire) the choke goes back to the normal position. This is solved by holding the choke while I pull the engine over. Akward, but it works.

Can you take a look at the linkage pic I attached Rob? I can get the blower running, but I don't think the linkage is hooked up right. Is there a diagram somewhere that shows how to do this? I also think the govenor spring isn't hooked up correctly. I'm not certain how that's supposed to be installed. This thing revs to the moon with only 1/2 throttle.

I can get the edger to run for about 5 seconds, then it stalls. I don't think it's getting fuel. I can "prime" it by putting my hand over the intake, it'll run for 4-5 seconds, then die. I've played with the fuel screw, tried opening the throttle, choke/ no choke....nothing keeps it running. I replaced the diaphram, carb/tank gasket and carb/engine gasket. I also sprayed the carb and passages with carb cleaner liberally. Any ideas? Again, I attached a linkage picture. I think I'm missing something that connects to the area I circled.

Blowerlinkage.jpg

Edgerlinkage.jpg

8. Restrorob

OK Glen, On the blower the top rod hooking to the carb. looks right, Below is a pic. of the control lever on the fuel tank. The rod that goes down from the carb. pivot arm hooks on the governor arm on the back of the engine in the hole right in the end, One end of the governor spring hooks in the hole closer to the shaft on the arm and the other end hooks to the hole in the throttle lever as in the pic.

On the edger the pic. below should be self explanatory. You adjust rpm on this one by bending the tab the spring hooks to closer to the blower housing to lower and back towards the gas cap to raise rpm.

Hopefully this will get you going.

5hp Briggs tank.JPG

3hp Briggs carb and tank.JPG

9. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Awesome Rob! Thanks so much! I'm going to work on both of them tomorrow! I'll print out the pics you posted and bring em' to the garage with me. Thanks a bunch and I'll be sure to keep you posted. :)

10. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Ok Rob, made some progress today! :clapping:

The edger would still not start after adjusting the linkage. I pulled the carb off again and cleaned it out. I noticed the area that I drew the arrow to was still not draining the carb cleaner. I took a twist tie, stripped off the outter layer and used the thin metal wire to clean out the small hole. After that, I was able to spray carb cleaner through the hole and it reached the carb body. After installing it, it started on the 3rd pull and idled perfectly...not adjustment needed. I just need to change the oil, replace the blade and get a new air filter.

Do you know what the oil capacity is on that engine? I'd like to change that out before I do any serious work with the machine.

Edger-carb-clog.jpg