Blower attacked by pit bull

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RELIABLELAWNMAN, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

best response,,,,,,ever:clapping:

2. RELIABLELAWNMAN

RELIABLELAWNMAN LawnSite Member

I didn't have anything around me except the blower. The dog came around the building and was on the tube in a split second. If I was closer to my trailer then the outcome would have been different. I did not shut the blower off because it kept the dog busy. After it ran down the street I called the SPCA. Took 15 minutes to finally get thru. The person on the phone wanted me to try and locate this stupid dog and then call them back. They only had 4
    officers on duty to take care of the Fresno area. After trying to fight this dog with a PB 770 I was not about to go and look for it. And I agree, any dog can be aggressive.

3. Leland Lawn

Leland Lawn LawnSite Member

If I would have been carrying in your situation I would have shot it!! I had a medium/small dog (about 30lbs) run across the street at me last year and bite onto my leg as it missed my right hand! I was grabbing for my leatherman as the neighbor lady was calling it back. It didn't get through my carhartts or skin, but it still hurt and I was more then pissed.

4. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

Not to long ago our local news station ran a segment about a small cat that crawled up a Toyota's fender well and a pit bull "literally ripped" the left side of the car apart trying to get at the little cat but a police officer ended the PB's hunger rage. I hate PB's and don't care how they're trained,their killing attack instincts are blood inherited and simply can't be trusted as with certain other breeds. I hear more horrifying news about people being mangled and killed by PB's than any other dog, at least in my regional area.

The good news you were unharmed by this PB.

5. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this. I'm a dog lover from way back, and have never been without at least one dog in my whole life, but pit bulls seem to be a different animal, so to speak. I realize the way they are treated can certainly be a factor, but there have been multiple cases over the years of pit bulls attacking, and in some cases, killing humans, especially children. I've also noticed that a certain "type" of individual always seems to own them. I never see a pit bull chained up in a nice, well kept neighborhood.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yesterday a 70 year old man killed a pit pull with a handgun in our area. Then he called the police......the 911 operator asked if he still had the gun on him and he said yes. She told him to put the gun in the house before the officer arrived and radioed the officerabout the gun. The officer arrived and the old man had the gun showing under his belt. The officer tried to get him to put it on the ground......he didn't and aimed it and two shots later the old man is dead.

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I agree with both MO and Snappper Jack.

In at least a few townships here, PB's or any dog with even a small amount of PB are illegal to own because there have been so many attacks over the years. I love dogs, but I have less than zero use for PB's, and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot one if it were attacking me or anyone else I saw being attacked (which is legal here).

8. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

I had an account where I had to use a 36" mower to cut a back yard that has a chain-link fence.
    people that lived next door had a chained pit bull that hated it when I walked the mower back there.
    One day the pit bull snapped the chain, and jumped the fence, coming right at me.
    I flipped the 36 around and kept it between us as I backed into a corner, threw it in neutral, and hopped the fence on the other side and ran like hell for the truck.

The pit bull then proceeded to jump the fence again, trying to chase me, but the piece of chain it was dragging luckily got snagged on the fence, and stopped him cold! Talk about some serious adrenaline. The people didn't keep the dog very long after that.

9. Landgreen

Landgreen LawnSite Member

That's a scary situation. Glad you're ok. I have no use for dangerous animals. Too bad you werent able to kill it. Hopefully someone else will before it causes any harm to anyone especially children.

I don't hesitate to pull my knife if a strange dog is threatening me. I almost knifed a cocker spaniel last year. ANY dog can be dangerous.

10. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

This reminds me to add pepper spray to the list of things to take on the route.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.