Blower Dilemma

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jmurphy, Nov 5, 2005.

1. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

Hi. My walk behind blower just quit working on a job today. I have $500 to spend on a new blower. I was wondering...what would be the best to get for that price. Thanks.:waving:

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Is it a billygoat?

If so, I have a 10hp did this to me and I replaced the spark plug SEVERAL times which got me a few hours of blow per plug... Ultimately the problem was a partially leaking head gasket.

3. jmurphy

no its like a 1987 Might Mac

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Murphy, might it be possible to take an engine off something else just to get you through leaf season, and then look for a deal on an engine when things get really slow?

I'm assuming its the engine and the wb isn't completely shot.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that cheapest blower that I know of is 5hp little wonder, that is usually between $500 to $600

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

If you only have an extra $500 I would say go with a nice backpack blower. Live a Redmax EBZ8000:waving:

7. jmurphy

How powerful will the back pack blower be.........also the wb isnt worth putting a new engine on it...its pretty messed up

8. adam5557

adam5557 LawnSite Member

Get a new redmaxx, i use it for fall clean ups and i can use it in the summer for lawn service.You get the most bang for your buck when buying a redmax backpack blower.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The small Little Wonders as well as the small Billy Goats are useless for cleanups. A good backpack wil move as many leaves as these do, sometimes more. If you're only going to spend $500, I'd spend it on a backpack. My first choice would just be get a new engine for your existing blower of if the blower itself is in good shape.