blower dilemma

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenest grass, Nov 22, 2005.

1. greenest grass

greenest grass LawnSite Member

well I just got back from looking at both the Stihl BR600 and the RedMax 8000 series and I like various things about each blower. The Stihl is certainly lighter although it looks cheaper too. The RedMax looks heavy duty and heavy is a good word for it. I am not sold on the Stihl having everything covered and I am not too sure about the spring mounting. I am also not sure if here in Michigan I would be plagued with static charge shocks that I have heard the RedMax is known for. The Stihl has that problem taken care of. I do like the bigger gas tank on the RedMax although the dealer says the Stihl is more fuel efficient. The same dealer sells both brands so service and parts won't be a problem. It is almost a flip of a coin to choose which one is best. I really can't find one single thing to sway my choice one way or the other.
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I dont like the way the stihl 4mix bp blowers sound. Would rather use my 8000 any day.
  3. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Here we go agian this has been discussed many times..............GO WITH THE STIHL
  4. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

I have both, I like the stihl better, it's lighter, and more quite. They both have about the same power. Although I fly through fuel with the stihl I don't know the tank sizes of either. I had an extra waist strap from my 8000 and put it on the stihl, I can basically go all day with it. I like my 8000 don't get me wrong, I never had a real shock problem either. I think you would be happy with either choice. Although if I bought another backpack I'd go with the stihl.

O'Donnell Landscaping

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

I Dont Have The Stihl Or The Redmax But I Have 2 Echo 751 Backpacks And Let Me Tell Ya These Blowers Kick Butt, We Had Stihl Before And They Were Good But The 751 Echo's Are Awesome Tremendious Power.
  6. greenest grass

greenest grass LawnSite Member

In checking out prices in my area, I have found that Stihl advertises the BR600 for $479 plus tax and the RedMax EBZ8000 at $559 plus tax. I have also found that I can buy a new RedMax EBZ8000 on Ebay for $468 plus shipping. As it turns out I can buy either for virtually the same price. So there isn't even a big price difference factor. I guess by buying on Ebay I am getting a better deal as far as purchasing either machine retail. One other feature that I see is, the RedMax is available with either a left or right hand throttle. The Stihl is only availble with a right hand throttle.
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

It's all a matter of personal choice...I would say go with the REDMAX and be done with it.:rolleyes:
  8. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

I use stihl 420's. I asked my dealer if he was selling the 600's and he said no ,they were not much stronger than the 420's. He also sells the redmax 8000. Just passing along what I've heard. Dont know personally which is better.
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Get another dealer. I have both and the 420 isn't even close to the 600.
  10. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

The 420 is a joke compared to the BR600