Blower help needed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lazer_Z, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Guys, I need a little help. I'm in the market for a new blower and I've got a big decision to make so I figured you guys might beable to help me out a little. My choice is between the new STIHL BR600 or the Red max EBZ8000. I did get to demo the 600 and it is pretty powerful but, it kinda felt like my 650 when I first got it. I have two prices the BR600 is $479.95 the EBZ8000 is $549.95. If you had to buy just 1 blower right here right now or you would loose work what one would you buy and why? I think I have made up my mind but I'm not totally sure I still have a few things holding me back on both.

On another note those saying the the 600 is quiet are speaking the truth. It also looks heaver than it feels and is a ton lighter than the 650. On the 8000 I do like the extra padding on the back rest but, I also like the shoulder pads on the 600. I am so confused at this point my head is spinning.

Any help and pro's or con's of both machines would be a great help.

Thanks guys

Rob

2. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the BR 600 three days ago. I was researching between the BR 420 and Redmax 7001. Turns out, they stopped making the 420 so my dealer didn't get a shipment in. He got the 600s instead. It is an amazing blower. The 8000 has 948 (I think) cfm without the tubes. The BR 600 has 1000 and some odd cfm without the tubes. I would recommend the 600 just because I know how good it is. I haven't used the 8000, but have heard it's heavier, louder, and bulkier. You will have to have the valves looked at in the 600 after about 200 hours and they might need adjusting and after that, it's smooth sailing.

3. Lazer_Z

from NJ

Thanks Fubba. When I was at my dealer I was told the measurement with the tubes is what counts. Stihl says 712 with tubes & Red Max says 943. I did put the 8000 on my back and yes it is a little heavier than the Stihl. I'm still up in the air about the Stihl don't get me wrong I currently have 4 Stihl machines but,the 4 mix on a back pack & that it's still "new" to the market are what have me concerned. I dunno I'm still confused.

Thanks again.

If anyone else has anything to say feel free to chime in I'm all ears.

Rob

4. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

owners manual...the manual states that the cfm WITH TUBE, at the tube, at the end of the tube, out the opening of the tube, out that hole at the end of the tube, out that part that expels the wind, is 688 CFM, NOT NOT NOT any higher...both the redmax 8000 and the stihl br600 have great power...

5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm staying away from stihl until probably in the spring. I had a 550, it sucked, they told me about the valves needing adjusted down the road but the valves kept going out of adjustment once a week and then the 4th week they adjusted them again and after 3 accounts it ran like crap again. It went back to the dealer in favor of a echo.

The dealer assured me that the problems have been taken care of with the stihls but I still want to wait and see from others experience. As for the HUGE weight difference between the two, theres what 3 or 4 lbs difference? Thats no big deal for me, but I too like the straps on the stihl better, it is a comfy machine. I would rather have a machine that has proof in the pudding that it works without a doubt then something that is comfy while its not running.

6. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

sometimes lack of power can be adjustments on the fuel mixture screws...I have a BR600 bp blower, a BG85C handheld (2-cycle), and FS-110R trimmer...None of my 4-mix have needed any adjustments, and if you do, you can do it yourself...type in search and a person expained it on this site...valves just don't go out of adjustments that fast...if they do, email Stihl corp and get it taken care of if it within their warranty...4-mix is stihl a little new, but I embrace the technology, as all small equipment company will have to make 4-mix one day...2-cycle is on its way out as the EPA is demanding it...even redmax will lose their precious little 2 strokes in the future...don't sweat the valves--it is a trivial aspect...

7. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I've never used a Stihl blower so I can't comment on them.

I've used Redmax blowers and I absolutely love them. I currently own a 7001 and I think it is truly amazing.

I do hear guys talk about Stihl products being hard to start, but I don't know if that is true with their blowers.

Do a search on Redmax and I think you will find that Redmax is probably one if not the only mfgr. on this site that gets very very little negative press. They make great products and I hardly ever see anybody unsatisfied.

You will also notice that a lot of guys go crazy over the Redmax 8000 on this site.

Good luck with your purchase.

8. Lazer_Z

from NJ

RobH,Thanks for the post. I did'nt get to start the stihl but was shown how and it is very easy to start. I did'nt get to run the Red Max because they did not have a demo machine lying around. lastly I would like to thank the rest of you who responded with answers I think I have finally made up my mind and am going with the Red Max only because the Stihl is still new to the market. I am not afraid of the 4 mix because I have two 4 mix machines already I have an FC110 and an HT101 and both have the same engine. But I think I'll stick with a 2cycle BP for now.

Thanks again guys

Rob

9. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Whatever choice you make will be a good one. They both are great blowers. Most are just biased. One correction though, Redmax measures their CFM without the tubes...and only without the tubes. In their magazine for 2005 it says that the CFM for the 8000 without the tubes is 943. The Stihl BR600 without the tubes is 1012. Close still, but with the Stihl being cheaper and stronger, that's what I went with.

10. Lazer_Z

from NJ

Fubba,Thank you for not bashing me for going with the RM that makes you stand out as a person I could ask questions to in the future. And I know what you mean about how people are brand loyal but, with me I'll give any machine a try at least once before I say good or bad about it. Thanks again

Rob