blower is not starting well.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TandM, Jul 20, 2008.

1. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

hey guys I have been bragging about shindaiwa 8510 backpack blower I love it. It has served me great for the past 10 months I have had it. But for the past couple times It has been getting harder to start when cold. Today it took seven pulls and it cranked up and ran great. it used to be two every time. After it warms up it takes like half a pull and it starts. do yall have any I dea why it would do this? thanks.

2. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like its not getting gas, do they have a primer on the carb? Maybe change the plug also.

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Is the choke operating correctly? Air filter clean? Post your starting procedure step by step...

4. TandM

from south

ok well heres what I do I put it on choke and then pull until it fires. I have always done it this way

5. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

could you be using 87 oct instead of 89 oct fuel. That will make a differance.

6. TandM

from south

yeah I have been using 87 with shindaiwa mix

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

You may want to up the mix to 89 or 93 octane. Also, do you have the throttle set at idle, half or full while starting.

I always leave it at full throttle. Prime 2-3 times. Choke on, 1-3 pulls (if it don't pop start sooner), take the choke off. Full throttle still till it fires. Thats usually the first start of the day. After that, usually starts with one or two pulls from half throttle.

8. TandM

from south

alright I will start mixing with89 andsee how that does. I start at idle. so will try halfthen full. thanks for all of the help

9. JimMac

JimMac LawnSite Member

Hi all; JimMac from Boston here. There is a small screen which will get clogged after a lot of use. Clean this screen for better performance. this screen is located either (both?) behind the muffler and/or beind the engine crankcase ventilator tube. 2 cycle engines can get clogged this way. Also, make surer the air filter is clean and there is no debris (leaves) blocking the air inlet main fan. --and remember-- he who dies with the most tools wins!

10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I'm on my way to the winners circle. :D Completely full of Snap-On and Mac tools. :waving:
    [​IMG]