Blower preference?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Victor, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm gonna buy another blower to use strickly for blowing sidewalks off after fert apps. The one I've been using is heavy and unbalanced. Consequently, it's a pain to use. Have any of you found a blower you like that doesn't have any of those aforementioned bad qualities? It just needs to be powerful enough to blow fert particles off sidewalks and out of the gutter. Thanks in advance for any input.

Vic

2. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

I would say Stihl BR600 or BR550 as it is light and always starts on the first or second pull and is poweful enough to blow fert over curbs at commercial properties.

3. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

ya,,,,,,,,,

4. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I'ma big fan of shindaiwa... I've used their hand blowers before, and they're TANKS... I ended up buying a redmax because of availability concerns, and the price was right.. but I wish that I would have gotten a shindiawa instead... mine runs REAL rough when you 1st start it, and for longer than it should.. usually ithe redmax dies and I have to restart it several times before it's good to go.. power seems to be sufficiant though...

5. Victor

While I did use back pack blowers for on my mowing routes, I think they are overkill for what I need to do. If I serviced huge commercial properties, I could see using backpacks, but since almost all of my accounts are 6k, or under, a hand blower is much more convenient for me to use.

I might look into a Shindy. I want to see how much they weigh. I just need something that's convenient to grab out of the back of the truck, dust off about 70 feet of curb and sidewalks, hit the driveway and put it back in the truck.

Vic

6. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

yup.. sounds like you're looking for exactly what I was.. spend $120 on a shindaiwa hand blower and be done with it :)

7. Victor

Out of curiosity. What Redmax hand blower did you buy? I found one of their hand blowers that weighs 8.4lbs, versus the lightest Shindy's 9.2 lbs. Weight isn't everything, if the blower is a pain to start though. The Shindy does look like it's better balanced.

Vic

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

echo pb 210 i think it looks like a box

9. Victor

You're right. That thing does look like a box. Like the Shindy, it looks like it has great balance since all of it's weight is directly under it's carrying handle. How's the gyroscopic action on that thing when you rev it? Since the tube comes out of the power head at the top of the power unit, I'm sure there is very little wrist torque felt. While it's a little heavier than the Shindy and Redmax, I see it's rated at 65 db. I like the fact that it's quieter.

Vic

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

it has the power to get the job done and easy on my wirst it even blows wet leaves well i have had 4 over the years love them