Blower problem... Bogs down with added throttle...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TROTTMAN, Jul 21, 2006.

1. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, I have a Husqvarna B165 backpack blower... just this week it started having problems... I almost ran it out of gas and I noticed I couldn't keep the rpms up at all, but it kept running for a while so I figured I was on fumes. But even after I filled it up it kept running bad (in future uses). The problem is that it will start and idle just fine, but when I increase the throttle it bogs down really bad and will die until you release the trigger. It is also strange because if I mess with the choke enough, I can get it to blow pretty hard with half throttle (and it won't die down), but it is very hit-and-miss and still doesn't blow nearly as hard as it normally does. I bought a new spark plug, and cleaned the air filter, neither of which seem to had anything to do with it (although the plug looked unbelieveably bad!). Any ideas? I was thinking it is most likely a carborator problem. I don't know of any Husqvarna dealers in the Oklahoma City area, so I am not sure who would work on it (but I certainly need someone to!). Any help regarding this would be really appreciated! Thanks y'all!

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

You don't need a Husky dealer to look at it unless it's under warranty or something. Sounds to me like you picked up some trash despite the fuel filter. Have you looked at the exhaust screen or changed the fuel filter?
    The fuel filter should be about 2 bucks at the most. It's in the fuel tank and you'll need to rig something with a small hook to grab the fuel line and pull it out. It just slips off with a little pressure and stick the new one on there.
    One more thing, what kind of mix are you running? Brand and ratio, and do you try to use fresh gas?

3. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

clean the carb....

4. TROTTMAN

Yeah I use fresh gas, Husqvarna brand, 50/1. I think it could be the fuel filter, but it runs find when I tweak the choke enough, so I am thinking now it might be the carb... how much is the standard rate to have them check it out/clean it? Thanks.

5. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Try the filter before purchasing a carb :)

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It sure sounds like you need to take the carb apart and clean it up. I had one last week that sounded like your problem and it was buildup in the carb jet. It took me about 45 minutes to pull carb apart and clean it and put in a new kit. The shop might find that it is something else, and keep in mind they don't usually repair carb so if it needs one you could be looking at maybe $100or more. It is really costly to have shops looking for these problems on hardare that only cost a few hundred.

7. TROTTMAN

What do you mean, "put in a new kit"?

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

exaust screen?

9. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

Just 1 drop of water in that carb can stop the flow of fuel thru that microscreen inside it. It is not to hard to take it apart and clean carb with a few blasts of carb cleaner. Sometimes the screen with get coated with "varnish" residue and carb cleaner clears that right up.The other couple of possibilities is the pump diaphram in carb or the screen clogged in the muffler. These things are pretty simple if you are mechanically inclined.

10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I thought your mix or gas might be bad when you said the plug looked really bad. The exhaust port came to mind too.
    Really, try the fuel filter first, you'll need a new one anyway.
    The shop I deal with puts carbs in the parts washer and that cleans them out pretty good after a good soaking.
    What kind of carb is it? There's probably a kit with everything you need to rebuild it.