Blower Problems What do i do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bridges, Nov 17, 2001.

1. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

I using my push blower and she shut down on me. Steam was coming from the engine. I can't pull the cord to start the blower.
    I checked for oil and there was none in the blower. Not sure how long it was low.

What now?

Tony

2. linky

linky LawnSite Member

OPPS! It sounds like the engine has locked up. Replace the engine and get a low oil shut-off for it. What kind of engine is (was) it?

3. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

briggs engine

So you are saying i need a new engine?

4. Hello:

It sure sounds like its locked up, if you checked & it's real low on oil?

You should be able to get a Short Block for it, that would save quite a bit over Purchasing a Completely New Engine?

I would first Pull the Pull Rope Housing & then pull the Engine off the Blower Impeller checking for Debris or foriegn Objects. But if it's real low on oil, well it's most likely A Siezed Engine. :(

Now I always made it Company Policy for all to Check the Oil in Everything before they Start it up & again everytime you run a Tank of Gas Through it?

Example: You can have a Brand new say 21" Walk Behind, now you're out mowing & you hear a Little Ping, but you Keep on going.

You did not realize that it was a piece of Bailing Wire off of a Bale of Straw or Whatever. Then the Wire Wrapped around Crankshaft & tore out the Bottom Crankshaft Seal. Twine & Very Small Rope can do the Same Damage?

So you Keep on mowing & the oil is slowly coming out until it siezes or Slings a Piston Rod?

Always check your oil & it will save you Big Bucks down the Road Besides Look at the Down Time you Loose.

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

So another Briggs bites the dust. This is not a bad thing. This is a chance to upgrade, and another tax write off.

Spend it or pay taxes on it, and get a Kohler or a Honda this time.

Ken

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Hold off on the new motor just yet. I had a blower given to me once that did the same thing, and with no oil. Put oil in it, pull the plug, put a little oil down into the cylinder, now, get a 2X4 or something you can get leverage with, and put it into the props. Turn it over a bit, and then start it. You will get many, many more hours out of it. This motor of mine did the same thing, heat, smoke, and all.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

runners rite .i watched my mechanic do that one time.
    as to the briggs engine ,ill have to say my opinion is that kohler is stronger. but ive never wore a briggs out ,that i broke in,in 25 or so yrs. not to be disagreeable but briggs motors have always been dependable and durable for me. later now