Blower Question, need some advice?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tlvoskamp, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Tlvoskamp

Tlvoskamp LawnSite Member

Howdy guys, I currently run all echo stuff, and I am going to get my first back pack blower this fall. I like all my echo stuff fine and the dealer here is top-notch, however I think from my research here on lawnsite I might go with the red-max 8001. My question is a fuel question. I run the echo mix for all my 2 cycle stuff, will the echo mix work for the 8001 or am I going to need to have a can just for the red-max stuff. And if so what do you recommend for using as the mix for the 8001 blower. I have also entertained getting the echo-755 and just keeping things simpler on the trailer. My only concern about going with the red-max is that the dealer here in town does not seem to be as knowledgable about the product as say you guys. I ask him what he thinks about the red-max blowers and he says he mainly promotes what most of the guys are using in the area, which at his shop is stihl. Would the indefference of this dealer make any of you nervous. Part of me thinks just because he might not understand the product does not mean it is not worth getting. Any advice from you pros would be appreciated. One final thought, I think the echo place would be faster at servicing equipment, but I am a solo so I keep my stuff in pretty good order.
  2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

echo oil would be fine in a 8001. my 8000 isnt at all picky about what oil i use in it and echo oil is very good oil. the 8001 is over kill for everyday use in my experience but is nice to have the extra power when needed. i would not chose to use it every day as its 5 lbs heaver than every other blower. i recommend the sthil br420 mangum for everyday use-a time tested desighn.
  3. mortymower1

mortymower1 LawnSite Member

I have the 7000 an i love it! The 8001 would be nice im sure but the 7000 great for everyday
  4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the echo 755 and red max ebz7001. The 7001 has a slightly higher pipe speed then then 8001. Both have plenty of power for everyday use. I've read on here more then once that the 8001 is definately overkill for everyday use.
  5. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

I HIGHLY recommend the Stihl BR600. More power than the 8001, and far more comfortable to wear around. And it is the cheapest in its class, $479.95, with the best fuel economy out there.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am not sure what input drove you toward Redmax but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the echo line. If you want a big heavy wind blaster then the big Echo will do just fine. This product line is tried and proven and yes they can get parts fast......and the product is reliable. I don't remember seening many post on echo blower problems.
  7. Tlvoskamp

Tlvoskamp LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the information. I really think that I am going to be staying with Echo, the stuff is good and the dealer in my area in really fantastic. Ed2Hess, which Echo blower would you recommend. DO you like the 755 or do you use something else. I was thinking the 755 because it is going to be my only back pack and I figured I would get all that I could.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry I jumped in late here but I own a Redmax 8001 and a Stihl BR600. I don't own an Echo and won't say anything about them except to try and demo all of them if you can.
    I find my Redmax is much more powerful than the Stihl and the Stihl is very powerful. The Stihl is quiet and has good wind and it is lighter than the 8001. Yes the 8001 is heavy and it isn't an everyday user but it is the most powerful blower I have used in 12 years. I also had a Shindy for a few years.
    On the topic of oil, and this is just me but I use Amsoil and mix it about 80:1 and have been using this stuff for 10 years, never blew an engine up and I use this mix in all 2 cycle stuff. Just my experience, I know this has been discussed in huge detail in the past.
  9. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Ive got a strong feeling that the major difference in mixing oil brands is the container it comes in.
  10. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

The Stihl BR-600 is not even close in power to the RedMax 8001. I have both and it's not even close..the only advantage the Stihl has is it is lighter.