1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blower Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gutpiles, Apr 22, 2008.

1. gutpiles

gutpiles LawnSite Member

I currently run stihl handhelds, which work fine for grass clippings, but when fall comes around and there are wet leaves, I usually find myself using the rake because they just dont have enough power. What is the difference in power between a hand and a backpack? Ive seen crapsman handhelds that advertised 200 mph, but the stihl BR600(thier top blower) does 201mph. whats the difference?
  2. Scagmower48

Scagmower48 LawnSite Senior Member

i believe its the volume of air it puts out that really matters
  3. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

when trying to find the right one. I was using the Stihl 85 handheld (and still do), but was looking for a backpack for the same reason you are.

My employee has a Echo 380 (I think that was the number)....and it didn't seem much more powerful than the handheld.

Then on craigslist I came across a fairly new Stihl 550 w/ a rack for $350 bucks....so I bought it last week. The difference between the 380/420 and the 550 is just silly.

Just from my experience, spend the extra and get something big (I'm not saying the biggest), even if the specs say they are close.

4. lostmdboy

lostmdboy LawnSite Member

Then there is my Red max 8001. It will turn you around when you kick it.
  5. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

agreed redmax 8001!
  6. btnj47

btnj47 LawnSite Senior Member

Have 2 redmax 8001's wouldnt trade them for anything . blows wet leaves and all . but one youll love it
  7. Garagedude

Garagedude LawnSite Member

I have a stihl but purchased a Craftsman blower. Its rated 215mph but 470cfm which is more powerful than the stihl. The cfm is what counts like the other guy said. the Craftsman was $139 on sale..
  8. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Go BIG or go home (or waste some precious time)
  9. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

BR600's have three of them and they are great.