1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blower Sprouts Legs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Jul 28, 2003.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Well it finally happened. Some low life stole my one year old Shindaiwa hand held eb240 blower and 5 gallons of gas. Everything else was locked up on the trailer. This happened at the entrance of an upscale development. My blower was sitting in the bed of my truck. This is a lawn that the truck is out of our sight for about 45 minutes. I bougt a new blower and cable locks for the gas cans and eb240. I'm thinking of setting a video camera on the back head rest in my crew cab to keep an eye on things.
  2. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

Get rid of the cable and go with a chain...I used one of those to secure a brand new $800.00 Snapper 20" mower...the cable was cut with shears...switched to a chain, no more worries...and 45 minutes, sheesh...gotta lock em up, if not, you're advertising for a low life to make a visit...
  3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

15 years ago i started using 3/4 and 1 ton vans in those 15 years i have never had a 2 cyl items lost.
  4. jaredslawncare

jaredslawncare LawnSite Member

Its pathetic isnt it. Cant leave your truck for 10 minutes without something coming up missing.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Too bad you didn't have a couple of pet rattlers to put back there bob to stop this kind of behavior.:D
  6. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

Last thursday I had my cell phone and phone charger stolen out of my truck. Who the heck would steak a cell phone? Two hours later I had a new one and the old one shut off. I'm not sure exactly what job it got lifted at, but I had been in an area were cigarettes had been swiped out of my truck a couple years earlier. I assume it was just dumb kids.
  7. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

I run into the opposite problem. Usually i have extra stuff in my trailer. Found everyting from garbage, apliances to old gas cans. Starting to feel like a recycling center:(
  8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing worse than someone stealing tools from the workin' man. I am constantly reminding my staff to keep an eye on all equipment - we don't need anything to grow appendages!!!
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is sad but people will steal anything. The bad part to me is this wasn't a toy or something but the way you earn your livelihood. Not a good day for you at all but it will get better when you chain those items up.

10. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I am glad I bought the trimmer racks and blower pole. I guess a hand held is a pain the --- to lock up. I would love to catch someone stealing. I would use all necessary means to make sure he don't do it again.

Sorry to hear about your loss, Bob. I have and heard of alot of others that had it worse.