1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blower throttle- hip or tube??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BryPaulD, Sep 1, 2004.

1. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

which do you prefer and why? Thank you. Oh, and why haven't I seen a blower with the tube on the left side...for a lefty??
  2. GrassBlaster

GrassBlaster LawnSite Member

tube....definately. frees up the other hand, and just feels better to me
  3. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with grassblaster, the tube throttle is much better than hip throttle. Also, there is no left handed tube because of the rotation of the engine.
  4. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I like the tube. i don't see how anyone could prefer the hip mounted. When its on the tube you only have to use your thumb to adjust the throttle
  5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Tube.. you can't "tease" the throttle to get leaves out of mulched beds with the hip throttle, and the tube throttle's out now have "cruise control" for the big jobs..Unless it was given to me, no way I'd use a hip throttle...
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I don't generally use the tube extensions but sometimes I walk with the tube extensions in my left hand for when I need them.

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

My Kawasaki used to be left hand hip frame mount throttle. I liked it ok (had cruise control) then I got a lesco just like it and it had tube throttle. The cruise was broke but i realized i liked it better. Traded the Lesco, still have the Kaw. The Kaw broke the throttle cable and a buddy had a Husqvarna one for parts so we took the tube throttle off of it and put on my Kaw. Works like a charm. Of course the cruise doesn't work on it either but it's much better. My new Echo PB650T has the tube throttle with cruise and i love it. Wouldn't have a frame mount again unless it was dirt cheap or free. Tube is faster and easier to strap on and the frame mount type will catch on fences and such and gets in the way, plus you don't have that hand free to move tree branches, open and close gates, hold a drink or pickup trash, whatever you feel like doing.
  8. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the thread. I was thinking on getting the hip throttle. But, after reading this tread. I'm going with the tube throttle. Thanks again, LCME
  9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I always liked the tobe mounts because you have better control over the engine speed if you want to tease the throttle for something like piling up leaves in a corner.
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I like the hip mount. Set the speed and forget it. 2 strokes are supposed to be ran at full throttle. Which is why trimmer engines blow up. I have ran blowers with the trigger control. Yes its nice. But I kept finding myself revving the engine. Instead of leaving it at a nice even speed. My to hip mounted echo PB-400e are 13 and 9 years old. They work just fine. I run them at one speed and leave it there.