Blower Tubes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrooklawn, Mar 5, 2003.

Do you remove bent tube from your backpack blowers

1. yes

18 vote(s)
  2. no

19 vote(s)
  1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

A silly question to settle a friendly bet with some helpers:

Do you remove bent end tubes from your backpack blowers and just use the straight pipe, and if so, why?
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

thats the first thing i removed. i never liked the bent tube on the end. its constricts to where the air will flow. i find it better to take it off when blowing driveways and sidewalks off. the only time i put the bent tube on is during fall cleanups, cause you can stick it right into a bush and blow the leaves a certain direction.
  3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

The Stihl BR400 has two removable tubes. One that is curved on the very end, and then another section that is straight up the line from the curved end. I removed the curved right away as it contricts the air too much, it also causes alot of strain on your wrist if you run it full blast for long periods of time. As for the middle straight piece, I usually run with out that too. This gives the optimal air flow and a nice wide spray of air, perfect for blowing grass and leaves off drives and walks. If I am moving some wet leaves I will generally put the middle straight piece on as it concentrates the air flow near the ground.
  4. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on how tall or short you are. If you are short you need to take it off.
  5. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

I have an Echo PB650 and it two extension tubes and both are straight. To me it would depend on the amount of air the blower puts out. With mine there is no need for a bent tube. I have had lower powered units and you needed the bent tube.
  6. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Off. I also duct tape the rest of the tubes so they dont fall or move.
  7. Organix

Organix LawnSite Member

I have a Husky blower that has two extension tubes, I use both including the bent end. I used to like the straight end on, and shorter but have found out the longer it is, the more concentration of air is to the ground. The curve gives more control, especially if you got to blow leafs in a direction when there is a breeze. It does bother your wrist but you'll get used to it and I got a bad wrist.

I guess if you just had grass clippings to blow off a walk or drive it does not matter much. I got too many leafs around here. It also is better for getting wet grass or dirt off a walk.
  8. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

that is the first thing that I do with a new blower is take it off and throw it away. But my two newest blowers do not need them,echo pb-650 and redmax eb-7001rh, they have enough power to blow small children out of the yard if they get in the way.:D
  9. I agree with Organix! LOL

Seriously though, I hate just using a straight tube. Sure, it is more air, but with my lawns, a curved nozzle provides much more control around obstacles like pools. With leaves and obstacles, a straight tube is a nightmare. From my manufacturing background, I think manufacturers peddle the straight tube because its easier to make and thereby cheaper.

Make sure the grip is well out on the tube to decrease muscle strain in the lower arm.
  10. goose

goose LawnSite Member

I do the same as Esby , take off the bent piece and the next tube up.