Blower / VAC owners... stand up & be counted!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KindGardener, Jun 22, 2001.

1. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

After reading prior posts on the virtues of a handheld VAC for faster cleanup in flowerbeds (leaves, flowers, debris, trash) - I've decided to buy one.

Looking for current feedback on why you like/dislike the one(s) you have used - have narrowed it down to these:

Stihl SH 85

Echo Shred'N'Vac

Husqvarna 225BX

Comments?

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if im cleaning a large area ,i prefer a good strong backpack for the increased air volume. for gutters dont like nothing on my back affecting balance. then i prefer the 200 mph hand held by poulan pro.
    if i start to loose it on a house i can give that thing a sling.
    later now.

3. KindGardener

awm - thanks for your comments on the backpack blower, but I want info on hand-held VACS.

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Get one, you won't regret it. I have the little Stihl BG 75 with the vac attachement. It is my lifesaver at commercial properties for trash pick-up. I can suck it up a whole lot faster than I can bend over and pick it up. Cleaning corners in parking lots where cig-butts pile up is a snap. Clippings that I don't mulch into submission with the chopper get vac'd up.

Good investment in my opinion.

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I own an Echo shred and vac. Like Homer said, good investment. I havn't had real good luck in mulch beds, though, because it wants to suck up mulch along with clippings and clogs up. But along curbs it works great. It's also a real nice backup blower, just in case. Hope this helps a little.

6. KindGardener

TJLC & Homer - thanks for the comments - I need to get my dealer to let me try one as a demo. It sounds like it can be a timesaver.

7. swn

swn LawnSite Member

I think that it would be a good investment. I have a homelite :eek: and I like it, even though it is not that powerful. Must be why it is good at not sucking up mulch along with leaves and clippings.

8. got an echo

for $200 your waisting you time asking advice on an item you know your gona use no mater what

I baught one and did use it then gave it to my dad for fathers day barrowed it and never returned it now i use it all the time always can use a low powered blower

use it for fall clean ups to get in places you cant get in with a back pack haven't used the vac yet vac's on mowers work better

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

kindgardener,read my post again.i did address the handheld
    along with a recommendation of what works for me in handheld
    blowers. later now

10. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

I like the handheld blower/vacs, they work great in beds.
    Wish that someone would make a backpack vac. But, since no one does I am going the buy the Echo shred and vac today. I have had a Crapsman since before I started this business and really it has served it's purpose but it is heavy and started having trouble with it. If you are going to buy a vac, then make sure that the impeller has metal mulching blades and not just plastic. You will tear the plastic ones up first time you get a chunk of mulch in there. In my opinion though, a vac is essential and whatever make and model you buy, you will use it often. Hope that this helps you.