1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blower/Vac suggestions???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jimithing31, Jul 20, 2008.

1. jimithing31

jimithing31 LawnSite Member

I am looking for some kind of Vac for sucking up hedge trimmings and leaves. Any suggestions or brand models? I just do not have time to pick this crap up by hand when I am at a jobsite.

I currently use an Echo PB 603 blower but need some kind of vaccum to get this stuff up quick.

2. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

I bought some close-out fabric at a local sewing supply store. I bought 50 or so feet of the stuff. Now, when I do hedges, I drape the cloth under the shrubs and simply pull the cloth away from the hedge when done and dump the clipping into a trash bag.

Best investment I've done in awhile.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

What I see one outfit doing here is using an Echo handheld with the vac kit on it for sucking up the trimmings. I decided to try my Stihl BG85 for the same thing and it works pretty slick! I will tell you, the vacs are about useless for fall leaves, but for sucking up trimmings they seem to work great. If you have mulch though, the vac will want to suck that up too and when a chunk gets caught in the blower fan it's not pretty. Mine will pick up small river rock and lava rock too. I don't even try it in those situations.

Yes, if it's an open area it would be easier to lay down fabric or just use a rake, but the vac does work well getting the stuff out from around other plants.
  4. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I have the BG85 as well and it has been my experience that by the time I fight it when it picks up a chunk of mulch or maybe there was a larger twig in the trimmings that I can just use a rake and large plastic garbage can just as fast.
  5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I had tried the handheld/vac setup years ago and sold it. It was too slow and couldn't handle the volume well.

draping sheets or tarps, etc is a good idea. Especially on mulches that move along with the cutttings/leaves when you blow or rake.
  6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

We have used both the Stihl and the Echo. We have owned several of each and after 2 years we are going to stay with the Echo. The bag is bigger and the handle set up with one on the side and one the top is more comfortable. Get lots of air filters. They loose power very fast as the filter clogs which they do often, at least here.

If your ego is not a factor the $ 69 electric B & D Bush Hog works very good too. That was my first venture into vacuums before I could afford gas.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I've found that the best way for us to do it is to rake up the bulk of the clippings and then we use our Redmax vac to suck up the little stuff and any little piles. I feel it's so much faster than just raking it up. Just my opinion.
  8. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

This is one of the applications where the Billy Goat KV or MV series excells. The intakes are specifically made deeper than than our old KD series to handle sticks,twigs, and trimmings with ease. The size of the bag will make sure that you'll get quite a bit of work done before you have to empty it.

Don't take my word for it, ask your dealer for a demo and see it for yourself.